Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Any way to work around the WiFi requirement for software update ?

i pay for the unlimited and more premium plan from AT&T. I finally cut the cord - My iPhone is my only phone, tv , internet service. I don’t have WiFi at home .

i can update my iPad, Mac using my iPhone as a hot spot - no problem.

i assume the WiFi requirement is a historic holdover from when over the air data was expensive.

I don’t want to sit it Starbucks waiting for my iPhone to update . I want to update my iPhone at home using my data while I take a nap.

any way to work around the restrictions?

iPhone XS

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 2:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 3:48 PM

Yes, can certainly connect your iPhone to your computer and update using iTunes. If you want to do it over the air, you need Wifi.

Choose the method that works best for you.

There is nothing more anyone else can offer you on this user to user only forum. We don't determine download limits. Apple and the cellular carriers do that. We users have to live with whatever they impose.

14 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 24, 2019 3:48 PM in response to douglas711

Yes, can certainly connect your iPhone to your computer and update using iTunes. If you want to do it over the air, you need Wifi.

Choose the method that works best for you.

There is nothing more anyone else can offer you on this user to user only forum. We don't determine download limits. Apple and the cellular carriers do that. We users have to live with whatever they impose.

Sep 24, 2019 2:57 PM in response to douglas711

douglas711 wrote:

i assume the WiFi requirement is a historic holdover from when over the air data was expensive.

No, it's a current holdover to prevent overloading the world's wireless networks. Unlike cable and fiber, cellular networks have very limited bandwidth. They work most of the time because no more than a few users will be using data at any specific time. But now imagine 500 million iPhone owners trying to update at the same time. Even 50 connected to one tower would crash it. Most towers can only handle a dozen or so connections simultaneously. For major events like sports in arenas or conventions the cellular carriers move temporary towers to the venue. It's also why most carriers support Wi-Fi calling, as it removes load from their cellular networks.

Sep 24, 2019 3:45 PM in response to lobsterghost1

Don’t know that’s a fact - remember it’s always difficult to prove a negative.

if you plug the iPhone into a Mac - iTunes needs a required software update - assume this is for iOS 13 compatibility.

after the iTunes update -

you can sync the iPhone - check for updates - a newer version is available. The update is 4.11 GB - much larger then the incremental update or even the iOS 13 release. The question becomes why is 13.1 so much larger as a download on the Mac ?

but it’s at-least an option - you can download then update the iPhone off line at home .

still looking for a better option . After posting this i remembered back in the old days you had to use iTunes to update the iPhone. The option is still available. An aside - Having a local iTunes backup is a plus vs the cloud. Restore is much faster.

if one had 2 iPhone one could update the other - so the buddy plan is an 2nd option.

as wireless continues to become faster - my 5Ge as they call it is faster then my Centrylink DSL when I had it - it starts to become a replacement for other services. It’s already fast enough for any video- so why invest in 5g if you still require paying for a separate duplicate service ?

Sep 24, 2019 3:53 PM in response to douglas711

Prove what negative?

The problem for the cell service providers is Apple announces when updates will be available and LOTS of people try to update immediately. This quickly chews up the cell service providers limited bandwidth, slows their network and can result in services not being available. Then you add the potential for people who are mobile having issues with handoffs between repeaters causing a serious failure on the iPhone.

5Ge is just a marketing term that AT&T came up with to describe a faster 4G. In some areas where I use 5Ge it is far, far slower than the standard LTE I get at home.

If you have another device that is cellular you can connect your iPhone to it and update. Otherwise at the current time it is a no go. As far as 5G fixing anything we are a couple of years away and there is still going to be bandwidth limitations. It won't be long for 4k and 8k video to eat up some of that.

Sep 24, 2019 4:00 PM in response to deggie

I likely worked for half dozen cellular companies as a consultant over my career . I am a software engineer- but worked for Oracle - lived in the database / apps world most of the time . Disabled now - can’t believe I went months without touching my laptop.. times change .

I very much understand bandwidth limitations - as a developer you always working to stagger the load .. I spent most of my career dealing with performance related issues .

But -

When you sell a service- telling users they can stream unlimited video- it’s really hard to follow that up with but you can’t download this 500mb update ... I could understand if you had an option to do tonight (off peak) .. I can also understand making it so WiFi is encouraged...

since I have unlimited now - I disconnect from WiFi (Many public WiFi not so go ) many times because it’s too slow vs the at&t rate.. I am a user now, not an engineer.

I guess once an engineer, always an engineer.

Sep 24, 2019 4:39 PM in response to deggie

Yes - BSEE, BSCS

i have taught a network class at Cisco at one point. Solved many client network issues. Worked for many cellular companies too - cellular companies tend to developer internal realities .

The bandwidth required for the update vs everyday usage - currently everyday usage is larger (assuming you are a user if hbo now, watch AT&T, YouTube tv, prime video ) - historically the update would be huge vs Everyday usage

i can use my hotspot data to download the 4.11 gb file - so that’s a work around to keep me out of the coffee shop .

i have been using around 80 to 90gb a month. Making it extremely inconvenient to download a 500 mb update no longer is justified.

just an aside - I had Centrylink dsl for last few decades. The customer service has always been awfal . The wiring on this street has issue - I never did receive the promised speed . They used a bonded pair to come close.. every few years they misconfigure it to single pair - it’s easy to tell because upload goes to 0.8. it takes weeks to get corrected - at least 4 visits as it gets passed between teams - I was sick and just couldn’t go though it again - so I canceled. That’s what happened to my dsl. Really have not missed it much except for a few things like this . I might sign up for cox someday but it’s mostly a duplicate service to the internet access the iPhone provides .

Sep 24, 2019 5:00 PM in response to douglas711

I don't care if you buy it or not. I've worked on telecommunications systems since before cell phones were invented (mostly for AT&T), and I know in great detail how cellular networks are designed and work. Whether you buy it or not, it's the reason that you can't do updates over cellular data. Not directly relevant, but my niece is an architect who designs cellular towers.

Yes, you can do that because thousands of other users are not steaming the movie at the same time. And streaming puts much less of a demand on the network than downloading large files.

Sep 24, 2019 5:08 PM in response to douglas711

douglas711 wrote:

as wireless continues to become faster - my 5Ge as they call it is faster then my Centrylink DSL when I had it - it starts to become a replacement for other services. It’s already fast enough for any video- so why invest in 5g if you still require paying for a separate duplicate service ?

Do you really want a lecture on the myth called 5 Ge? All it consists of is LTE (4g) that uses 2, 3 or 4 LTE channels simultaneously for a combined higher bandwidth, and at the cost of 2, 3 or 4 fewer channels for everyone who doesn't have a multiplex connection. It's pure marketing by AT&T, who called 3G HSPA "4G".

Real 5G has not been deployed yet except on an experimental basis, and there are currently no phones that support it because the standards have not been finalized. And it may never be thanks to a disinformation campaign on social media spreading scary stories about how it will sterilize us all, or give us all cancer. Not to mention that the only current technology manufacturers are in China, and our all-knowing President has embargoed all of the producers of the technology (Huawei being the largest). Intel was going to enter the business, but changed their mind.

Any way to work around the WiFi requirement for software update ?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.