Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can not update my iPhone, no wifi, no computer, so I’m SOL… seriously?

I do not have WiFi where I live, so why is it that I can’t just update my iOS software over LTE cellular data when I’m paying for an Unlimited data plan? Such frustrations…! Due to this painfully unpleasant obstacle, it unfortunately leaves my $1,000 pocket computer to lie vulnerable and exposed on the net to all variations of identity theft risks and/or malware/key-loggers with its outdated security signatures/frameworks etc, etc… Sometimes I’m not able to travel somewhere to connect to some cafe’s dial-up wifi JUST TO UPDATE MY iPhone SOFTWARE for weeks or months at a time regularly … I'm genuinely shocked that i even need to come on here and say any of this, it seems like un-restricting this user bottleneck barrier would have been a ‘no brainer.’

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 6:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 23, 2019 6:37 AM

At this time, it is not possible to do a software update through a cellular connection. You need access to a WiFi network or through iTunes on a computer. If you don’t have a computer, ask for help from a friend or family member who has one. Just curious why you can’t get to a location that has a WiFi network for weeks or months at a time.

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 23, 2019 6:37 AM in response to originalnofear

At this time, it is not possible to do a software update through a cellular connection. You need access to a WiFi network or through iTunes on a computer. If you don’t have a computer, ask for help from a friend or family member who has one. Just curious why you can’t get to a location that has a WiFi network for weeks or months at a time.

Dec 23, 2019 6:56 AM in response to originalnofear

Over the air software updates are not perfect. If something were to go wrong, you would be stuck with an unusable phone until you could get to a computer with iTunes and an Internet connection to restore iOS.

No one here can address why Apple made the design decision they did. We are not Apple.

Update using iTunes if you have access to a computer with an Internet connection, or wait until you can get to a fast WiFi network.

I can not update my iPhone, no wifi, no computer, so I’m SOL… seriously?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.