Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how to get my music from CDs on to my MAC Book

I have a Mac OS Mojave. it did not come with CD drive. I have just bought and external CD/DVD USB but it will not work. I thought it would be a simple matter of ripping the CD via iTunes and saving to library. I get the error message.

The disk you inserted was not readable by this computer.

Do I need to down load a DVD/CD Diver?

What can I do. I have followed instructions. It does not show up at all.

thanks yours hopefully. RMF.

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 2:56 PM

2 replies

Sep 24, 2019 6:55 PM in response to RoseyMaz

You can import songs from CDs into your iTunes library. Once you import songs, you can listen to them without having the original CD in the disc drive.

1. In the iTunes app on your Mac, insert an audio CD into your computer’s CD or DVD drive, or into an external drive that’s connected to your computer.
  2. If you don’t see info for the CD, click the CD button near the top left of the iTunes window.
  3. Do one of the following:
    • Import all songs on the CD: Click Yes in the window that appears. iTunes starts importing the CD. When it’s finished, go to step 6.
    • Prevent certain songs from being imported: Click No and go to step 3.
  1. When the list of songs appears in the iTunes window, click to remove the tick next to any songs you don’t want to import.
  2. If you don’t see tickboxes next to the songs, choose iTunes > Preferences, click General, then make sure “List view tickboxes” is selected.
  3. If you’re not connected to the Internet or if iTunes can’t find the CD’s information, songs appear as “Track 01”, “Track 02” and so on. See If you don’t see songs in iTunes.
  4. To add the selected songs to your library, click Import CD near the top right of the iTunes window.
  5. Select your import settings, then click OK.
  6. To cancel importing, click Stop Importing.
  7. Any songs that iTunes imports before you cancel importing are added to your iTunes library.
  8. When the songs are finished importing, click the Eject button near the top right of the iTunes window.

You can continue to use iTunes while songs are importing.

Sep 24, 2019 6:50 PM in response to RoseyMaz

It should work. You don't need (at least you shouldn't need to) download a dvd/cd driver. I don't know what brand of usb cd/dvd drive you have, so I can give you general help only. Most of them should work,and should say on the box, works with Mac/OS X. Make sure the drive is plugged directly into your mac book, and not into a hub. You could try buying and using a cd/dvd laser lens cleaning disk, the kind you buy at an office supply store, drugstore, places like that. Under Finder, you should go to Preferences, and check off where it says show cd's, dvd's, connected hard drives, etc. Try with a known good CD, eg a commercial one. sometimes homemade ones might give you trouble, depending on the brand of cd used. and how the disk was finalized (eg, as a data disk, or as an audio cd. You could try the cleaning disk first, then try a commercial cd or one of your homemade ones, Open up itunes, and then import, and point it to the cd, if it shows up. You could also try resetting the smc/pmu and zapping pram. How to do that can be found on Apple's page for notebooks/ MacBooks. I don't know what model or year of MacBook you have.... if you go to the Apple icon at the top left of your screen, then go to "About this mac" it'll tell you what model of Mac Book you have. In iTunes, you also have to tell it what to do when you insert a cd, import files, or do nothing,

jb

how to get my music from CDs on to my MAC Book

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.