Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13.1 Bug - Can't Rearrange apps on Home Screen

Ever since I updated to iOS 13, my iPhone refuses to let me move my apps around. Once I select the option to rearrange my apps, they start to wiggle, I select one and drag it across the screen and midway through or once I let go, it just freezes in place sometimes locking the apps from being able to be selected.

I thought updating to iOS 13.1 would fix that issue but this bug is still present. Not sure if I'm the only one or if it's only an iPhone 8 problem, but my iPhone 7 does not have that issue and is currently updated to the most recent, iOS 13.1.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 4:05 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 24, 2019 4:19 PM

Solved - Had the Zoom function turned on under the accessibility settings. Apple should still address this as I'm sure some users use that function so having to turn it off to rearrange apps must be a hassle.

101 replies

Oct 6, 2019 6:28 PM in response to DeathbyZamboni

Good picture. That says it all. I do have 13.1.2. The exact order of things I tried on my iPhone 7 was:

1. I turned off 3D Touch, and tried to successfully rearrange icons. Result: Fail.
  2. I did a hard restart, and tried again: Fail.
  3. I went on line for the n'th time and finally found this great discussion, and I turned off Zoom: SUCCESS!

Please let us know if you can get it to work. Millions of people have Zoom turned on--it's the only way you can see details in pictures while in stupid apps like CNN, that don't allow zooming. So Apple should have caught this problem. It shows they are rushing things out!

Dec 28, 2019 5:38 PM in response to Musiczeal

Btw, this bug also affects drag-and-drop addresses in Mail:

• reply-all to a message
  • press and hold an email address in the Cc field until it "goes live" (blue highlight gets rounded corners)
  • drag to the To field, lift finger

Observed: email address "sticks" in place but does not "drop" into the field. When you tap the body of the message, the email address you were dragging reverts to its original position.

Expected (behavior for all previous versions of iOS): email address "drops" into the To field and stays there.

Workaround: Turn off Zoom in Accessibility.

(Apologies in advance if this behavior is described in one of the existing replies.)

Oct 6, 2019 3:44 AM in response to Musiczeal

Wow!! Thank you!! I love you! Turning off Zoom is the answer! I spent an hour on line with an Apple technician last week, and he had me try many things, but I continued to fail to reliably move icons. He suggested I back up my phone to iTunes, restore my phone to New, and apply the latest updates again. He said it was likely a "bad install" that was causing my problems. SO GLAD I had the sense not to follow his advice! 13.1 broke the ability to move icons around reliably. 13.1.1 didn't help, and 13.1.2 didn't help, either.

With words and screenshots, you stated the problem so beautifully and succinctly. About 1 time out of 20, I would succeed at moving an icon into or out of a group, but the other 19 times, the icon would hover in space without shaking, without an "x", and then just vanish back to wherever it had been when I pushed the home button.

So I tried turning off 3D Touch, but that didn't help. I'd spent over an hour searching on Google, about 30 minutes on Apple Discussions, and almost an hour with the Apple technician, and no luck. I am so glad I kept trying until I finally found your solution!

Oct 6, 2019 10:14 AM in response to Musiczeal

I have this same issue and the proposed solution DOES NOT solve it for me. I do NOT have ZOOM function on, but I still struggle with moving apps. I tried moving a folder from one screen to the next and it just floats, stuck and hung up. The only way to end this bug is to hit the sleep button on the side of the phone and then the folder reverts to where it first was. It's been impossible to move it. Incredibly annoying. What a buggy piece of garbage this OS update is.

Oct 7, 2019 1:20 AM in response to RsinFyter

Yeah!! I'm not sure how he figured it out, either!! I thought I was smart for turning off 3D Touch, but that was actually kind of a likely suspect. But Zoom?!!! Who would have thought it?!! I wish he'd share how he found this answer. Maybe he's just a super genius. As of last week, this answer wasn't in Apple's database. A technician and his supervisor both worked with me and couldn't solve the problem!!

Oct 14, 2019 1:16 PM in response to Musiczeal

I found a workaround for people who still want to use the zoom feature regularly.

Navigate to General > Accessibility and tap "Accessibility Shortcut". It should display options for what happens when you triple-click (press the home button 3 times rapidly). Add Magnifyer to your normal selections and back out.

This doesn't fix the bug, but triple-clicking the home button will now toggle Zoom on and off (or offer the option, if you have multiple accessibility shortcuts enables.) Much less effort than going through Settings.

For me, I've stopped tapping with 3 fingers all together and now use the home button to enable/disable zoom only for the duration I need it. That means I don't have to remember to disable it before rearranging apps.

Oct 14, 2019 2:18 PM in response to Etrynic

Thanks for this, but what home button? I fixed the other issue with turning of zoom (and thanked the original person for that amazingly time saving solution) but would love to be able to zoom in where pinch zooming doesn’t work (without of course going back to the three finger option since that’s the original problem). So, to what home button are you referring? Thanks!

Oct 14, 2019 6:23 PM in response to Etrynic

Yes, I did know that, but I was confused as to how to use the home button to zoom in place of the three finger zoom. But I read your next reply and I'm gathering there's a way to choose the home button to create a zoom function. As it stands, if I click my home button three times it does not zoom, but I'll figure it out. Thanks muchly for the speedy reply!

iOS 13.1 Bug - Can't Rearrange apps on Home Screen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.