Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 13 Hotspot not working after update

Hello! I use my hotspot (iPhone SE) for my mobile work device and since the upgrade to the latest iOS, I’m unable to connect to the internet via my hotspot. I have another Apple device that is on an old iOS, and I can use and connect via that hotspot with no problem! I’ve tried reboots and did the latest release this morning. Thoughts? Anyone else seeing this issue?

iPhone SE

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 5:15 AM

53 replies

Nov 7, 2019 2:52 PM in response to Robejoh76

Actually, reading further--I see a number of others made this same suggestion. But add me to the tally of people who this resolved my problem...

I am not sure if I was having the same problem. But I was having Hotspot-Internet Connection issues, seemingly after the iOS 13.2 update at least (not sure about before). I seemed to have some Internet connection, but not all. I discovered the issue was on my computer's side. The following steps resolved it (though I seem to have to repeat them occasionally when reconnecting at later times):

1. In Windows, click on the Windows logo, and in the "Search programs and files" section, type: "ipconfig /release" and ENTER;
  2. After it is done, click on the Windows logo again, and in the "Search programs and files" section, type: "ipconfig /renew" and ENTER; and
  3. Try it again. For me, this resolved it.

Mar 5, 2020 11:22 PM in response to Mish929

Mine now work !! Two kindle fires would connect to iPhone SE bu no internet available.. I had to replace the old fire.. so now have two 8th generation kids fires... i have done total reset. On old one and deleted all Wifi info and followed every link on hear..... still no luck with the old one! . The slightly newer fire and my New one will context as of three weeks..🤷🏼‍♀️🤷🏼‍♀️ I did pull up on home screen and hold down on the centre of the wifi. Aiiroplane, Bluetooth and mobile data square till it bought up personal sharing (two chain links’s) button then turned it off And on hey presto they work!!! Hope it helps some of you xx

Oct 21, 2019 7:14 PM in response to chris_g1

I have what looks like the same issue.

No problem connecting to other networks. Problems only since updating iPhone SE to iOS 13.

I have followed all the steps in the link provided, to no avail.

Here are the wifi log entries:

Tue Oct 22 13:04:40.958 <kernel> parseRSNIE: groupCipherType = 5 pairwiseCipherType = 5 authSel = 2
Tue Oct 22 13:04:40.958 <kernel> initWithInterfaceAndIE: _myMacAddress <OBSCURED>
Tue Oct 22 13:04:40.958 <kernel> setPMK: PMK SET!
Tue Oct 22 13:04:43.623 <kernel> Unexpected payload found for message 9, dataLen 0
Tue Oct 22 13:04:43.623 <kernel> en0: Terminating supplicant.
Tue Oct 22 13:04:43.623 <kernel> RSNSupplicant: Releasing authenticator for 00:00:00:00:00:00
Tue Oct 22 13:04:43.833 <kernel> parseRSNIE: groupCipherType = 5 pairwiseCipherType = 5 authSel = 2
Tue Oct 22 13:04:43.833 <kernel> initWithInterfaceAndIE: _myMacAddress <OBSCURED>
Tue Oct 22 13:04:43.833 <kernel> setPMK: PMK SET!
Tue Oct 22 13:04:46.421 <kernel> Unexpected payload found for message 9, dataLen 0
Tue Oct 22 13:04:46.421 <kernel> en0: Terminating supplicant.
Tue Oct 22 13:04:46.421 <kernel> RSNSupplicant: Releasing authenticator for 00:00:00:00:00:00

Oct 24, 2019 7:35 AM in response to chris_g1

I have the same problem. I can get it to work sometimes, but it is WAY more trouble than it used to be. I use for a couple of smart TVs and a couple of Amazon echos (rarely more than one at a time). Before, I would just turn on the TV and the hotspot. After a couple minutes, I would be good to go. Now I have to hunt for the hotspot signal and log in EVERY single time, and half the time, the signal isn't even there. It is really an ordeal and totally hit and miss. Once connected, it is fine, but the trick is getting connected in the first place. Obviously, this is something they screwed up in 13, as it worked fine before.

Oct 25, 2019 1:42 AM in response to Robejoh76

Hello all

I am having the same issue however it is only on certain devices.

I have the following devices

iPhone 11 - (Where the data is coming from)

iPad Air 4 - (Connects fine and uses data from iPhone fine)

Huawei Y7 2018 - (Connects fine and uses data from iPhone fine)

Tesco Hudl v1 - (Connects fine and does NOT use data from iPhone)

Tesco Hudl v2 - (Connects fine and does NOT use data from iPhone)

The devices that do not connect are my sons. I need to tether so he can use his tablets over my data. All devices connected fine before the update.

What is baffling me is why does my Huawei Y7 connect and use the data perfectly fine and my other older android devices do not.

I have tried all the recommended fixes. Reset network settings, restart hotspot, restart all devices. Nothing works.

**COME ON APPLE PLEASE GIVE US A FIX**

Phil

Oct 25, 2019 10:36 AM in response to Robejoh76

We have ~500 users on iPhones of varies models: 6S, 7, and 8. Since the release of 13 there have been reported hotspot issues with no common denominator on the model. One user could have a 7 on 13.1.3 and the hotspot works, but another user with same model/ios it doesn't. Many techs have spent a lot of time troubleshooting/trying different options. Still not resolved for the users having the problem

Nov 1, 2019 4:01 PM in response to bhavingupta1989

No Hotspot issues till updated to 13.2 on iPhone 8. After update, Hotspot was turned off and Personal Hotspot screen in Settings appeared to have the On/Off switch deleted from the top. Tried all fixes I could find recommended on discussions and none worked. A knowledgable user suggested I bring up the shortcuts screen (swipe up from bottom of screen, even if locked) and go to the top left box where there are toggles for Airplane mode, WiFi, Bluetooth and Cellular Data. If I touch and hold on that box, a larger box with six switches comes up. The same four switches are in that box but also one for Airdrop and one for Personal Hotspot. By touching the Personal Hotspot switch, I now have my network access again. Made my day!

Nov 11, 2019 11:42 AM in response to Jessb11

Just sharing what fixed mine. Perhaps trying googling how to release and renew on IP address on a tablet, or more specifically, your brand of tablet? I suspect there is a way to do that.

But only as an example--on my iPhone itself, if I go to WiFi, click on the information button next to the WiFi network I am connected to--in the properties, there is a "Renew Lease." That is, I think, the same thing as the /release /renew (someone more IT oriented on here might correct me?). So something like that might be the equivalent on a Tablet, if you can find it? Best of luck.

Btw, as an update--it is not a one-time fix in my case. I have to release and renew probably 75% of the time I try to use the Hotspot. This did not happen before my update to iOS 13. Not sure if it is an iOS 13 issue, or Windows issue, or what--but I have to do this often to make it work. But it does fix it every time I have the issue.

Nov 13, 2019 5:46 PM in response to Robejoh76

Yeah no kidding same here. I can be streaming a show or trying to download something and when I get a snapchat it knocks me off. It’s ridiculous and very frustrating. I’m not going to restart my phone and clear my cache or toggle it off and on every time I want WiFi. It worked fine before. Never had problems. I’d love a swift resolution to this which is going to be another update.

Nov 29, 2019 8:49 PM in response to Robejoh76

Found a quirk in dhcp with the update on IOS update. I forced my Kindle fire HD to advanced settings. Static IP address. Used TELSTRA 10.0.0.11/24 DG .100 and google dns 8.8.8.8. First successful in a while. Apple, fix the dhcp network stack please. My wifi sniffer on the kindle showed I still had home wifi IP address.

from a concerned senior network engineer in AU.

iOS 13 Hotspot not working after update

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.