Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Control Center freezes after update 13.1

Hi All. I updated my OS to 13.1. After connecting my Beats earphones, I did a swipe down to open the control center to check the battery remaining on the earphone. After doing this, the control panel would be frozen. Nothing works. I would have to do a forced re-start every time just to get out of the control panel. Any idea as to why this is happening?

iPhone XS Max

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 10:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 12:49 AM

This has been a problem on all beta versions of iOS 13 and iPad OS. My recently purchased 11 Pro Max also has the same problem which then forces me to hard reset my device in order to regain proper functionality of the display. Countless times I've reported this bug to the Developer Beta Feedback Assistant and time and time again I receive the same response, "This will be addressed and fixed in the next software update," yet the problem still persists.

43 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2019 12:49 AM in response to ZeeSee_Ef

This has been a problem on all beta versions of iOS 13 and iPad OS. My recently purchased 11 Pro Max also has the same problem which then forces me to hard reset my device in order to regain proper functionality of the display. Countless times I've reported this bug to the Developer Beta Feedback Assistant and time and time again I receive the same response, "This will be addressed and fixed in the next software update," yet the problem still persists.

Dec 13, 2019 7:58 PM in response to sansaman

The fact that you need to have a source listed is actually true. I noticed that the issue arose after I deleted the Apple Music app. This app usually always displays an audio source in the control center section. So I always went there and connected my AirPods to the iPad from my phone for example. Never had an issue. After deleting the app the issues started. No source listed and the entire device freezes. Now I downloaded the app again and it is back to normal since it is the default app to play “something”.

Apr 11, 2020 6:48 AM in response to ZeeSee_Ef

This is still not fixed with IOS 13.4 on an iPad Pro 2020.

I am very unimpressed with this serious bug and am amazed that Apple has not already fixed it by now because:

1. It's not even possible to power off with Control Center frozen (although the buttons can be used to start the power off process, the slider step cannot be completed because Control Centre acts as a "modal" overlay preventing any interaction with the slider), so the only way of restoring service will be to wait for the batteries to drain - which is going to take weeks of non-use!
  2. I purchased this iPad to set-up with a minimal configuration for an elderly relative socially isolated by the COVID19 lock-down. Now not only is the work which I have done on configuring it wasted but there is no chance that I can make it available in a timely manner, which is going to force me to buy another one.

Feb 4, 2020 5:01 AM in response to carh

OMG, it’s true...

just install Apple Music, and the problem is resolved!!! What a relief! :-D

Just be aware - the app is not called Apple Music in all countries. You can search for Apple Music in the app store, and it is this symbol/icon you should be looking for:

(I hope that there are no disadvantages in having Apple Music installed?)

Oct 17, 2019 4:54 AM in response to Will 129

Just upgraded to iPadOS 13.1.3, and the problem persists.

Working on iPad Air 2 (A1567).

Very easy to provoke: Open the “Now Playing” item in the Control Center to transfer a video/audio stream to another device - without having anything (Youtube or similar) to transfer. Then you’ll never get out of the Control Center again, and have to reboot the iPad.

Really annoying, but first time during the 4 years I had this great device, that I had to reboot it due to an error.

Nov 11, 2019 9:54 AM in response to iMacappleman

I am experiencing the same on my iPad Pro 10.5 I just picked up. I was hoping a fresh install would help, but seems like it is software related.

I think I might have solved it.

if you can recreate it, you will notice you have no audio-playing app running at that time. This can be Apple Music, Spotify, Youtube, Netflix, anything. That player’s icon MUST be showing in control centre to NOT replicate the issue. If that is blank, no player, your iPad will freeze.

Dec 7, 2019 2:24 AM in response to chengyr

Have an iPhone Xr and experienced the same Problem today.

I was listening to a podcast. Than I swiped down, went into control center and tapped on the Airplay symbol that is displayed in the corner of the media control button to connect to a HomePod. I did successfully connect to it. Right after that I switched into the music app and played a song. Because there was a delay, I went back into controlcenter and than it all froze.

I cant even restart it right now.

Dec 17, 2019 2:17 AM in response to Phil-HH

As the instruction in this thread is clear as to how to reproduce the bug, I can also confirm that downloading the Apple Music App fixed the issue for me as well (did not even have to start the app).

There shouldn't be any dependency on the Apple Music App... maybe it's kept purposely this way.

iPhone 11 Pro 256GB, iOS 13.3

Dec 17, 2019 11:31 AM in response to ZeeSee_Ef

My iPhone freezes on control panel after IOS 13.1 update. It’s infuriating. It does it while I’m on calls, on mute - I can’t unmute, I can’t hang up or unfreeze it.

only way out it reboot - volume up, volume down, screen lock button (right) hold down. Then it drops call and takes 60 seconds or more to come around.

This is unacceptable Apple. ***. How do you not have crews working around the clock to fix this? 3 updates since it started. Each time I think - they’ve got to have solved this freeze. But no.

Jan 15, 2020 11:19 AM in response to Ricker707

Here to confirm this is still happening in 2020. I was going nuts trying to troubleshoot another issue (phone calls not working aux adapter) and I encountered this bug. If Apple Music is not installed on your phone and there is no default audio source in the airplay menu (as described above) it will freeze your phone every time WITHOUT fail.

APPLE NEEDS TO FIX THIS ASAP

Mar 1, 2020 5:38 AM in response to glee217

Thanks everyone and Glee217. After about 15 tries (and after taking out the sim card to not call police by accident) it worked! We held down volume up, released, volume down, released, then wake button for LOOOOONNNNNGGGG time (long time) and it finally kicked it to life!!! My boyfriend had the patience, because I was ready to kill the phone with a hammer!!! LOL

Control Center freezes after update 13.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.