Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud backup - wrong size for backup daya

Hello, not sure why my backup file is exceeding 17GB. Even though the top apps containing storage are switched off.

any idea how to switch fix it?

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 1:55 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 1:48 PM

Hello Sa2il,

It looks like you're unable to back up your iPhone due to insufficient storage even though you've disabled items to reduce the size of your next backup. I know how important it is to be able to back up your devices and keep your data protected. I'm happy to help you get to the bottom of this.

Based off of the screenshot you included in your post, your WhatsApp data was initially the main thing that was causing your backup to be so large. Now that you've disabled WhatsApp so that it's not included in the next backup, technically your iCloud backup should be significantly smaller. However, sometimes it can take a moment for iCloud to recalculate the size of your next backup. I recommend restarting your iPhone, waiting a few minutes for iCloud to sync up, and then checking to see if Next Backup Size is reflecting the correct amount: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

If you're still unable to back up to iCloud afterwards, take a look at the following support article for additional steps: If you can't back up to iCloud or restore from iCloud backup failed.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2019 1:48 PM in response to Sa2il

Hello Sa2il,

It looks like you're unable to back up your iPhone due to insufficient storage even though you've disabled items to reduce the size of your next backup. I know how important it is to be able to back up your devices and keep your data protected. I'm happy to help you get to the bottom of this.

Based off of the screenshot you included in your post, your WhatsApp data was initially the main thing that was causing your backup to be so large. Now that you've disabled WhatsApp so that it's not included in the next backup, technically your iCloud backup should be significantly smaller. However, sometimes it can take a moment for iCloud to recalculate the size of your next backup. I recommend restarting your iPhone, waiting a few minutes for iCloud to sync up, and then checking to see if Next Backup Size is reflecting the correct amount: Restart your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch.

If you're still unable to back up to iCloud afterwards, take a look at the following support article for additional steps: If you can't back up to iCloud or restore from iCloud backup failed.

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities.

Take care!

iCloud backup - wrong size for backup daya

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.