Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS/iPadOS 13.1 mail - Trash/Bin Folder

Has anyone else noticed that their Mail “Trash” Folders have apparently been renamed to “Bin” following update of their iPad and/or iPhone from iOS 12.4.1 to iPadOS/iOS 13.1?

All Apple online documentation and associated User Guides still seem to refer to “Trash” folders - not “Bin” folders. When checking Advanced Settings, for each configured email address, I note that the corresponding server folder (selected) remains labelled as “Trash”, whilst the local (i.e., on-device) folder is labelled as “Bin”.

Despite ensuring that the selected folder corresponds to the server “Trash” folder, the mail client insists that the folder is called “Bin” for every configured email account - on both my iPad and iPhone.

If anyone can confirm similar experience, I’d be most grateful.

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 4:28 PM

Similar questions

10 replies

Sep 30, 2019 8:44 AM in response to Boeing7x7 Pilot

Thanks again for your reply.

To clarify my question, whilst you may be from and within the UK, your region settings (Settings > General > Language & Region > Region) might be something other than United Kingdom. I was hoping to positively confirm that your selected region is set to UK?

I believe you have missed the nuance of my off-topic comments 🙂. English (or derivation thereof) is most frequently utilised within [perhaps the majority] of programming languages. As such, many non-English speakers have to get to grips with the printed English language - and for such all languages, the correct syntax.

Within computing, “Trash” is generally an accepted convention - whilst alternative container naming labels (such as “Bin”) may be region specific. Either way, reasonable consistency of settings/labelling should be anticipated.

Sep 30, 2019 8:46 AM in response to LotusPilot

Nope I got it I just disagree. I think you are absolutely correct it is a generally accepted convention. I am saying that I believe it is wrong for it to be so and this difference should be corrected sooner rather than later!

Everyone should be taught and use British colloquialisms and terms as a world standard. So it should be changed on every apple system and Microsoft system today to bin and if the US want a regional difference to say trash then they have it! We should not just accept the US slowly but surely changing our language!

Sep 25, 2019 5:26 PM in response to markwmsn

Thanks for your reply. For info, my region is set to UK. If I attempt to change the region, it’ll likely screw around with the registered App Store (which is obviously region sensitive).

Whatever is causing this, it affects both my iPad Pro and iPhone after the update to 13.1. Other devices remaining on iOS 12.4.1 still behave normally - and show “Trash” labels for server Trash folders.

Any UK based owners out their that can check/verify this behaviour on their devices?

Sep 30, 2019 7:26 AM in response to Boeing7x7 Pilot

Aha - thanks for responding. I presume from your reply that you have your region settings configured as “United Kingdom” (UK)?

Whilst I share some of your sentiments in respecting “correct” grammar and spelling, “Trash” in computing circles is a commonly accepted representation. In context of being correct, perhaps also have a thought for those for whom English is not their first language. For those that do not utilise the modern roman/latin alphabet (that you and I take very much for granted) often find it necessary to obtain some grasp of “English” in order to engage with computers or programming at all! 🙂

Returning to topic, some computing applications [rightly or wrongly - dependent upon your specific viewpoint] expect specific mail folders to exist (such as Inbox, Outbox and, yes, “Trash”) - and fail if these basic containers are renamed.

The issue of “Trash” folders being renamed to “Bin” has not, to my knowledge, been documented by Apple in any of its release/change notes. Indeed, given my research, outside this forum conversation nobody has acknowledged this change. If this is not an unintentional feature (i.e., is not a bug), then the configuration interface does have a bug whereby it misrepresents the folder name within Settings.

Sep 30, 2019 8:13 AM in response to LotusPilot

Yes apologies I am from and in the UK. With respect to commonly accepted that does not make it correct. The fact is that US firms produce the vast majority of software but that does not and should not detract from the fact that they language they are using to communicate is English.

The fact is that US spelling is firstly mostly lazy and also incorrect (from a proper English perspective). It may be correct in American English but it is incorrect if it is being called English. The US appears to be using its monopoly of software companies to dumb down the world. The USA is a country just over 350 million and the world is 7.44 Billion. Surely if people are going to use common parlance then that parlance should be English not a minority version of it.

If someone is struggling that much with English seeing as Apple software is supported in 40 languages I would suggest that they need to update themselves with some training and failing that the picture of the dustbin next to the works should give it away.

That notwithstanding yes apple should have documented the change as it is highly unlikely that we both had the exact same bug from UK devices on our iPads and iphones immediately after upgrading to IoS 13.

Oct 21, 2019 4:14 AM in response to LotusPilot

It changes with your Primary language setting; in the UK you now get bin. If you set US English as your Primary you get trash, I'm not a fan of US idiosyncrasies but I have been using Macs for so long I've gotten used to Trash and now Bin seems to be odd!

Maybe there's a work around to rename it back to trash, I'll have to look under the 'hood'.

iOS/iPadOS 13.1 mail - Trash/Bin Folder

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.