Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 13.1 issue with Mazda MZD

Hi all, I have upgraded my iPhone XR to IOS 13.1. My car (Mazda) infotainment can connect to my iPhone hotspot. Ever since moving to IOS 13.1, the car has stopped remembering the hotspot password after I shut it down. It was OK on IOS 12. I have tried rebooting the phone and deleting the hotspot from the car's hotspot history

iPhone XR

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 7:42 PM

Similar questions

28 replies

Sep 28, 2019 6:42 AM in response to drsonic

Hello drsonic,

Welcome to Apple Support Communities! I understand since you updated your iPhone, your car won't connect to your Personal Hotspot on the iPhone. I'm happy to assist you with this. Follow the steps in this article to resolve this issue: If Personal Hotspot is not working on your iPhone or iPad (Wi-Fi + Cellular)

Also, test another device to see if it will connect to your Personal Hotspot. This will help isolate the cause of this issue.

If other devices can connect and the car can't, contact your car dealership for additional assistance. There may be a firmware update needed.

Best Regards.

Sep 28, 2019 7:18 PM in response to chris_g1

Hi, as I said, the car does connect to my wifi hotspot. On IOS 12, I could reconnect automatically when I next drove the car. However since IOS 13, the car does not remember the password, as if it is seeing a new hotspot with the same name, so I have to re-enter the hotspot password each time I drive the car.

Oct 4, 2019 8:00 AM in response to Livchester

I have the same issue as well with my Mazda infotainment System on both my iPhone XS Max and my wife's XR. I have spoken to Mazda support and they say Apple has changed the security. Can this be explained please. Why has it been changed? Can it be switch off? Are Apple working on a fix?

This is very frustrating as I now have a paid for service that I cannot use.

Oct 8, 2019 3:22 PM in response to Sylvester4

I spoke to Apple support today - it took a couple of escalations but eventually the rep confirmed this was a security ‘feature’ ‘to protect’ us from suspect people or devices. She said it affects non-apple devices only so presumably people with windows computers or Roku devices also having the same password-not-remembered problem if they try to connect to a known iOS 13 hotspot. I asked why they couldn’t give us an option to make devices ‘trusted’, such as our Mazda satnavs - seemed pretty obvious. She implied they were looking at that but no date. I guess she wouldn’t know - no-one knows what Apple are doing for future updates, but they’ve really messed up with this one. Surprised it isn’t being debated more widely if it’s a general problem.

Oct 9, 2019 2:52 AM in response to Foxcover

Unfortunately not all devices are affected. My Galaxy Tablet and my Kindle both remember the password and reconnect OK. Apple could therefore argue that its Mazda's problem not theirs.

However I would agree that there should be some way to turn the security causing the problem off.

Does anyone know the specifics of what's causing the problem. Is it the Wifi MAC address changing each time.

Chris

Oct 14, 2019 1:44 AM in response to Chris.Jaques

Until you suggested the wi-fi MAC address changing I naively thought this was fixed to the device but, on checking, I see that iPhones have had - and used - the ability to change their MAC address since IOS8. That being so this is not only possible but likely because, like others, I have noted that when this first started I found I had several entries of 'Paul's iPhone 8' appearing in the list of devices; I've since deleted them all. It therefore seems that, each time I connect, the car sees the phone as a different one from last time.

Nov 3, 2019 1:51 AM in response to Sylvester4

iOS 13.2 has done nothing to change the connectivity of my iPhone 8 to my MAZDA CX5. The same network errors appear, the multiple entries of my iPhone in network connections and the need to add password every time I try to connect. iOS 12 worked fine so I believe that Apple has some work to do fixing this matter. If anyone has a work around can you let me know, please.

Nov 5, 2019 8:36 PM in response to Chris.Jaques

I believe added security has been added to the latest iOS 13 for iPhones which blocks certain third party devices. That's great but surely there must be a way to set certain devices such as satnavs as "trusted" devices and not have to go through the login process or be locked out of connecting completely through the Personal Hotspot. Come on Apple and get your act into gear. I have paid for Mazda's Connected Services but can't use them.

Nov 9, 2019 7:50 PM in response to drsonic

I spoke with Mazda Australia recently and the person admitted a problem but lay the blame firstly with the Apple upgrade to iOS 13 but also suggested getting the local dealer to upgrade the firmware in the Mazda Connect. Has anyone done this and had better results? So someone is aware of the problem at Mazda. I also tried my iPad Air which is using IOS 12 but the latest update has created the same issues with connectivity via Personal Hotspot and the same messages etc come up on the Mazda screen - not remembering password and "network error" so iOS 12 has been butchered as well. I am looking forward to hearing what you get back from Apple. Foxcover back in early October had a ticket with Apple but that was in the early days of iOS 13.

Nov 13, 2019 2:38 PM in response to PepePL

iOS 13.2.2 hasn't fixed the issue either. Another chat with Mazda yesterday and they say that there is an issue with iOS 13 and Mazda Connect and they are working on it from their end but there is no time given when a new firmware update might be available. I have the same issues as PepePL and they have only occurred since iOS 13 so I believe it is apple problem. If you look at the Mazda site they still on state that Mazda Connect support iOS 12. Not all the helpful really. Holding out for another iOS update that might fix the matter since they are aware of it. If anyone has any other helpful advice please post it?

IOS 13.1 issue with Mazda MZD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.