Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In Yosemite partition, the Mojave partition is unmounted and called DiskOs2. Can Disk Utility mount it?

Hi

On my mid-2015 15" MBP, I recently upgraded to Mojave and created a Yosemite partition to give certain apps functionality.

In the Yosemite partition, the Mojave partition appears unmounted and called DiskOs2.

Can Disk Utility mount it without risk of causing problems?

Would I then be able to see and use Mojave's contents (pics, texts) the same way when in Mojave I can see and use Yosemite's contents?

best

elmer

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 7:34 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2019 8:25 PM

If the Mojave partition is using the APFS file system, then Yosemite will be unable to mount the Mojave volume since Yosemite does not have APFS support.

If you want to share items, then a better option would be to install Yosemite into a Virtual Machine. Virtual Box is free and I believe will work. You should be able to configure the VM to allow access to Mojave's files and folders.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2019 8:25 PM in response to elmerlang

If the Mojave partition is using the APFS file system, then Yosemite will be unable to mount the Mojave volume since Yosemite does not have APFS support.

If you want to share items, then a better option would be to install Yosemite into a Virtual Machine. Virtual Box is free and I believe will work. You should be able to configure the VM to allow access to Mojave's files and folders.

Sep 25, 2019 9:31 PM in response to elmerlang

The Yosemite partition cannot see or read another partition that is formatted as APFS.

To boot from Yosemite to Mojave Restart your Mac whilst holding and pressing the option/ alt key

After a couple of minutes you will see the Startup Manager where you will see all the bootable disks

available, select your Mojave disk/ partition and press Return. Your Mac will now boot into Mojave.

If you want to boot back to Yosemite then you can use System Preferences> Startup Disk.

In Yosemite partition, the Mojave partition is unmounted and called DiskOs2. Can Disk Utility mount it?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.