Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Disk Utility

If I had an external hard drive being dedicated to my computer with Mojave 10.14.6 and I wanted to use the disk utility on another of my computers with Yosemite for example is that a problem? I have done that but I would like to know if that could be an issue. Or stated another way if I repair disk on an external hard drive from the Mojave computer (using Yosemite DU) would that affect the compatibility of that drive in any way when connected back up to the computer running Mojave?

BTW...I have been able to do things with Yosemite DU that I could not do with Mojave or Catalina DU......me thinks the DU in Yosemite is more robust and powerful....

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 11:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 12, 2020 11:35 AM

You certainly can use an older version of Disk Utility on a drive formatted by a later version unless the drive is formatted using Mojave or Catalina. APFS formatted drives can be read in High Sierra but not on an earlier version of macOS.

In general, it is not a good idea to use an older version of Disk Utility on a disk coming from a later version of macOS. Recent versions of Disk Utility may not have all the options of older versions, but that is because those options are not needed due to changes in both Disk Utility and macOS.

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 12, 2020 11:35 AM in response to BrooklynAL

You certainly can use an older version of Disk Utility on a drive formatted by a later version unless the drive is formatted using Mojave or Catalina. APFS formatted drives can be read in High Sierra but not on an earlier version of macOS.

In general, it is not a good idea to use an older version of Disk Utility on a disk coming from a later version of macOS. Recent versions of Disk Utility may not have all the options of older versions, but that is because those options are not needed due to changes in both Disk Utility and macOS.

Jan 12, 2020 6:53 PM in response to BrooklynAL

Do not use Disk Utility on APFS formatted disks like Mojave or Catalina.

The Disk Utility in Yosemite was written for HFS+ disks long before APFS was released and

does not understand that file system so if it perceives errors and tries to repair them you

could cause damage to your Mojave and Catalina installs. This is the same for any version

of High Sierra you may have if it is formatted as APFS.

Using Disk Utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.