Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Disk Utilities to copy one drive to another drive

Is there any way to actually do this? I've been trying all day and all it ever seems to do is corrupt my hard drive when I try. I'm using disk utility (through the internet recovery). Every tutorial I've tried says this should be possible but every time I try it just makes my hard drive unusable and I have to wipe it and start over. It's getting a little frustrating. I'm sure this feature isn't supposed to ruin my hard drive but that's all it seems to do.

MacBook

Posted on Jun 8, 2022 4:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 9, 2022 11:54 AM

Yeah, I got it to work once but Disk Utilities doesn't really seem to want to do it. I have one drive set up exactly the way I want it and I want to copy it's settings and everything to all the other macbooks we have at work. I was trying to do it without having to completely reinstall the OS but I guess I have to either do it that way or try CCC. I know we used to have a license for CCC but it might have expired by now.

What does the restore feature in Disk Utility actually do? All it seems to do so far is corrupt the drive I'm trying to restore.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 9, 2022 11:54 AM in response to PRP_53

Yeah, I got it to work once but Disk Utilities doesn't really seem to want to do it. I have one drive set up exactly the way I want it and I want to copy it's settings and everything to all the other macbooks we have at work. I was trying to do it without having to completely reinstall the OS but I guess I have to either do it that way or try CCC. I know we used to have a license for CCC but it might have expired by now.

What does the restore feature in Disk Utility actually do? All it seems to do so far is corrupt the drive I'm trying to restore.

Jun 9, 2022 3:06 AM in response to salvator241

It is not clear exactly what you are trying to achieve.

If you are attempting to Clone the Internal Drive to an external Drive - Disk Utilities in Catalina is not the best choice.

There are two Cloning Software Applications that can perform this action. I do not recommend one over the other.

SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner

I know CCC does offer a 30 Day free trial and after that you have to pay to keep using it.

SuperDuper I am not familiar with as to a Trial and pay or not.

Using Disk Utilities to copy one drive to another drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.