Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Erasing the correct drive

Mac Pro 2019, need to migrate files from a Mac Pro 2013. No room on the 2019 Hard drive so I have to erase it as I don't need what's on it. I need to make sure I erase the correct drive here are some screenshots as the drive is called 11.5 so I assume I erase that in the screenshot?

Mac Pro, macOS 10.13

Posted on Dec 23, 2022 9:10 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2022 8:35 AM

No, I don't expect that to free up space.

System & Network is not the entire OS. It is system and network settings, like Wi-Fi SSID/Password.

When it finishes calculating, see if you can disable any of them to make up the space needed to migrate just the user account.

Migration doesn't copy the entire disk. It only moves your user account, any third-party apps, and system/network settings. Those settings won't be particularly large.

There is no way to "restore" the OS from a backup. You must install the OS, then Migrate your data.

You may be able to make the space available by erasing the drive, reinstalling the OS, then migrating your user during the Setup Assistant that runs after install is complete.

You may also be able to make space available by using the Erase all content and settings. That will leave the OS intact, but erase all user data. When that completes, the setup assistant will run and you can migrate from your backup.

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings - Apple Support

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 24, 2022 8:35 AM in response to dagwaremedia

No, I don't expect that to free up space.

System & Network is not the entire OS. It is system and network settings, like Wi-Fi SSID/Password.

When it finishes calculating, see if you can disable any of them to make up the space needed to migrate just the user account.

Migration doesn't copy the entire disk. It only moves your user account, any third-party apps, and system/network settings. Those settings won't be particularly large.

There is no way to "restore" the OS from a backup. You must install the OS, then Migrate your data.

You may be able to make the space available by erasing the drive, reinstalling the OS, then migrating your user during the Setup Assistant that runs after install is complete.

You may also be able to make space available by using the Erase all content and settings. That will leave the OS intact, but erase all user data. When that completes, the setup assistant will run and you can migrate from your backup.

Erase your Mac and reset it to factory settings - Apple Support

Dec 24, 2022 2:26 AM in response to dagwaremedia

If and I mean If the user wants to Wipe the Entire Drive 100% clean of all Data and the Operating System also ?

The below method will provide that information

Scorched Earth Method 

This method will WIPE ALL Data and there is No Recovery - Period.

>> Only works on Intel Based Apple Computer <<

To perform this action will require booting from a Bootable Installer

The Bootable Installer can Only be performed on an Apple Computer 

This will have to be performed from a Qualifying Computer to run the version of macOS to be made on the Bootable Installer. Example : Bootable Installer of Big Sur would have to be done on a computer that Qualifies to run Big Sur.

Notation: If the computer being used to perform this action is Too New or Too Old to qualify to run the version of macOS - this computer can not be used.

Alternative is, to gain access to a Qualifying Apple Computer from a family member, friend or associate.

Extra Special Notation regarding the Touch ID equipped Apple Computer.

About Startup Security Utility and Must Enable from Recovery Mode the ability to boot from External Drive Before Attempting 

1 - Shutdown computer and disconnect all external drive Except the newly created Bootable Installer.

2- Restart and immediately hold the OPTION key until the Startup Manager appears and choose the USB Drive. 

3 - It will present options >> Disk Utilities >> View >> View ALL attached Drives. 

4 - Choose the Upper Most Drive ( not the volumes indented and list below ).

5 - The drive normally is called Apple Media or Apple SSD - that is the drive to Erase and format as APFS with the GUID Partition Map. This applies to macOS 10.14 Mojave and above. 

6 - Once that is done >> backup out of Disk Utilities and choose install macOS. 

7 - Follow the prompts and it may automatically reboot several time. 

8 - Upon a final reboot - Setup Assist will present with the newer version of macOS.

Dec 24, 2022 7:16 AM in response to PRP_53

A bit confused here so let me clarify what I need to do, move / copy apps files folders and data from 2013 MP to 2019 MP.

I'm running Monterey on both machines

When I use migration assistant I get message not enough room on drive ( 2019) so since I have same OS and same user id on both machines I thought I would erase the 2019 drive which would give me the room ( both HD's are 2TB) which is why I posted about erasing the correct drive, UNLESS there is another way to do this?

Screenshot of drives

Dec 24, 2022 7:40 AM in response to Barney-15E

Ah Ok makes perfect sense!

YES starting up from 11.5 ( it's actually 12.6 but never got to change the name as both machines in Monterey)

Below is a screenshot of the 2019 so if I UNCHECK

SYSTEM AND NETWORK, both machines same network same id's and pw's

RALPHIE DEE - same on both machines

This should free up enough room?

The screenshot was taken while system was calculating.

????

Erasing the correct drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.