Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos Transferred to External, But Still Taking up Mac HD Space, How Do I Free Up Space

I transferred my iPhoto and Photos library to an external hard drive and those libraries no longer show up in my Finder now so I'm assuming I did it correctly, however my Mac HD storage says that photos are still taking up 285 GB on my Mac HD. I would like to free up that space so I have room on my hard drive. How do I get that 285 GB back so it will be free space? I'm hoping that by freeing the space my iMac will work faster and more efficiently. If someone has an answer, please let me know, it will save me time and money so I don't have to take it to the computer shop. Thank you kindly.

iMac Line (2012 and Later)

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 8:27 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 9:33 AM

I transferred my iPhoto and Photos library to an external hard drive and those libraries no longer show up in my Finder

You did empty the Trash Bin, right?

If you're seeing that photos amount in the About This Mac it's known to be quite erroneous. Try reindexing your hard drive for Spotlight: How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support.

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2019 9:33 AM in response to graywhale

I transferred my iPhoto and Photos library to an external hard drive and those libraries no longer show up in my Finder

You did empty the Trash Bin, right?

If you're seeing that photos amount in the About This Mac it's known to be quite erroneous. Try reindexing your hard drive for Spotlight: How to rebuild the Spotlight index on your Mac - Apple Support.

Photos Transferred to External, But Still Taking up Mac HD Space, How Do I Free Up Space

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.