Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I delete iPhoto Library to create more hard drive space on my iMac

I am running out of hard drive space on my iMac. Can I delete the iPhoto Library on my hard drive to create more hard drive space. When I go to Mac HD>Users>My Name>Pictures>, I show iPhoto Library @205GB and Photos Library@ 58.30GB. I believe that the iPhoto Library is the old library and Photo Library is the new library where all my photos are stored. Is it going to be OK to delete iPhoto Library without loosing my pictures?

iMac 21.5", macOS 10.12

Posted on Jan 2, 2020 6:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 3, 2020 7:25 AM

See the article https://support.apple.com/en-in/HT204410

Similar questions

2 replies

Jan 3, 2020 12:48 AM in response to Snooz48

Are you using iCloud Photos? The sizes of the iPhoto Library and the Photos Library should be roughly the same, if you migrated the iPhoto Library to Photos. But you Photos Library is much smaller than the iPhoto Library. Unless you are using iCloud Photos and optimize storage, the Photos Library will have less photos than your iPhoto Library. Have you compared the numbers of photos and videos in both libraries?

Until you are sure, that your Photos Library is holding the same number of photos, I would not delete the iPhoto Library. If you need to free storage, move it to an external volume, to save the photos.

Can I delete iPhoto Library to create more hard drive space on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.