Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How does iCloud reconcile storage vs. local storage?

I'm considering upgrading my iCloud storage but I'm curious about this fictitious scenario:

• I have an iMac with a 1TB hard drive and I'm using 500GB of iCloud storage.
  • I have a MacBook with a 256GB hard drive
  • All computers are synced to iCloud

1) What happens on my MacBook considering the iCloud files exceeds the capacity of the local hard drive?

2) What if I'm using my MacBook and wish to upload some large files to iCloud, but I don't want them locally on my MacBook? But I'm fine with these large files on my iMac? (Other services might call this "selective sync")

Thanks for any insight

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 8:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 11:02 AM

On the MacBook, you won't be able to download all the files from iCloud and the files may max out the hard drive's storage capacity. You can help this, depending upon the data being synced, by going to System Preferences/iCloud/iCloud Drive/Options and turn Optimization on. You can also go to Photos/Preferences/iCloud and turn on Optimization. This will reduce the storage space photos take by about 90% when fully set up.

There isn't a selective sync capability.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 26, 2019 11:02 AM in response to MBP_Drew

On the MacBook, you won't be able to download all the files from iCloud and the files may max out the hard drive's storage capacity. You can help this, depending upon the data being synced, by going to System Preferences/iCloud/iCloud Drive/Options and turn Optimization on. You can also go to Photos/Preferences/iCloud and turn on Optimization. This will reduce the storage space photos take by about 90% when fully set up.

There isn't a selective sync capability.

How does iCloud reconcile storage vs. local storage?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.