Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

how do I store files in iCloud but not on my Macbook

I have 2 terabytes of iCloud storage but only a 1 terabyte hard drive on my Macbook. I want to store files on my iCloud but not on my iMac. How do I do it? And how do I make sure the files I want locally are on my Imac?

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 10.15

Posted on Jun 15, 2021 6:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 16, 2021 5:08 AM

As per the article Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Find your Desktop and Documents files on all of your devices

When you add your Desktop and Documents to iCloud Drive, all of your files move to iCloud and any new files you create are automatically stored in iCloud too. Then you can find your files on all of your devices.

Your files upload to iCloud each time your device connects to the Internet. Depending on your Internet speed, the time it takes for you to see your files on your other devices might vary.

Some of files if stored locally - see the last para of the article Work with files and folders in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Will stay say download folder , you can view the files select the file and click on spacebar to open .

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 16, 2021 5:08 AM in response to Morriehr

As per the article Add your Desktop and Documents files to iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Find your Desktop and Documents files on all of your devices

When you add your Desktop and Documents to iCloud Drive, all of your files move to iCloud and any new files you create are automatically stored in iCloud too. Then you can find your files on all of your devices.

Your files upload to iCloud each time your device connects to the Internet. Depending on your Internet speed, the time it takes for you to see your files on your other devices might vary.

Some of files if stored locally - see the last para of the article Work with files and folders in iCloud Drive - Apple Support

Will stay say download folder , you can view the files select the file and click on spacebar to open .

Jun 16, 2021 7:10 AM in response to Morriehr

As an add-on to tygb's advice.

As described, if you enable "Desktop & Documents" folder for iCloud, the files from these two folders will be moved to iCloud Drive, and "Optimise Storage" will automatically remove older files, that have not been used in a long time, if free storage is needed.

• To ensure, that the documents you want to keep mirrored locally, you can click the download arrow to force a download.
  • To remove more local copies for files you do not need any longer locally, ctrl-click the file or folder and use the command "Remove Download".

This way you can be in control of what is mirrored locally and what is only in iCloud.

Jun 16, 2021 12:33 PM in response to léonie

Thank you for your help. It is appreciated. What I am trying to accomplish is backing up my photos in iCloud. I do not use the Apple Photo app. I keep my pictures in the Pictures file which is what Adobe uses by default. Can you tell me if the Documents folder that is backed up is just the file labelled "Documents" or everything under my name on my hard drive? Also, do you know if there is a way to make sure a document is stored both locally and in the cloud? (Is there an icon I can set that would tell me?)

Again, thank you for your help.

how do I store files in iCloud but not on my Macbook

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.