Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

It seems some of my files are only on iCloud. How do I keep all on local HD?

Hi,

For some reason I have to go to iCloud Drive to get many files; takes time to access them.

I must have made some wrong choices in setting things up.

I want to be independent of the 'cloud' and use it only for backup, if at all.

How do I make sure all the files now on iCloud reside on my Mac (Monterey) hard drive?

Thanks!

iMac 27″, macOS 12.5

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 8:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 20, 2022 8:29 PM

"It seems some of my files are only on iCloud. How do I keep all on local HD?"

-------

Try Downloading All of iCloud:

Download all of iCloud. Then, search for files through use of Finder on the window. Perform my User Tip: Getting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip

4 replies

Jan 2, 2023 9:48 AM in response to Edward M. Baum

“It seems some of my files are only on iCloud. How do I keep all on local HD?: […]Question: How do I download all of iCloud? Is there a command from a menu[…]”

———-

You are welcome. And thank you for the complement.

Perform my User Tip: Getting a Quick and Direct "iCloud Drive-to-External Hard Drive" Download - User Tip. Things like Contacts would not download. It’s just your iCloud Drive that gets downloaded.

Jan 2, 2023 11:26 AM in response to Edward M. Baum

Ensure that iCloud Drive is enabled, which automatically syncs your files to iCloud. It sounds like it currently is so that should not be an issue.

then, ensure that optimize storage is disabled. This will keep all files on your Mac at all times.

Set up iCloud Drive - Apple Support

any files that you then wish to download, those which may be in iCloud only, can be downloaded by clicking on the cloud icon next to the files

It seems some of my files are only on iCloud. How do I keep all on local HD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.