Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mid 2009 MBP OS10.11.6. My trackpadis misbehaving. Often when I pass the cursor over anything on screen it acts as though I clicked the pad and selects it. If i use the very lightest possible touch I can avoid this problem a bit

Mid 2009 MBP, OS 10.11.6. My trackpad is causing a severe problem. Most of the time when I pass the cursor over anything on the screen it acts like I clicked the pad; it selects it and switches to what ever was under the cursor. Sometimes if I use the very lightest possible touch on the trackpad while moving the cursor I can avoid the problem a bit; it is hit and miss!

Anyone have similar problem ot suggestions.

Don Bullock

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 1:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 2:10 PM

Thanks for this suggestion, something mechanical affecting the trackpad. I never thought of that but the battery is right under the trackpad. This battery does have a lot of charging cycle so you probably put your finger on the solution.

Don B.

4 replies

Sep 26, 2019 1:51 PM in response to Don B

The greatest concern when you see unexpected trackpad or keyboard behavior is the possibility of a swelling battery. Batteries can exert enough force to permanently damage your computer case. If it s swells and leaks, it can destroy the electical components.

I strongly recommend getting the computer to a service provider as soon as possible. Don't bother going to Apple with this one. Due to the computer's age, all they can do is maybe give an evaluation but they won't do any repairs. Therefore, in your case, this is a delay that could results in more damage if the batteyr is swelling.

Once you have confirmed the battery is OK and NOT causing the trackpad issues, then the next step is an SMC reset:

How to reset the System Management Controller (SMC) on your Mac - Apple Support

Sep 26, 2019 8:14 PM in response to Don B

Since my earlier response I took the battery out to look at it. I do not see any obvious signs of swelling but since I put it back the original problem seems somewhat reduced, maybe a good sign?

The battery has had 2200 charge cycles and does not hold its charge too well. I will replace it and hope it will solve my problem.

Any other things to pursue if this does not work?

Thanks, Don B.

Mid 2009 MBP OS10.11.6. My trackpadis misbehaving. Often when I pass the cursor over anything on screen it acts as though I clicked the pad and selects it. If i use the very lightest possible touch I can avoid this problem a bit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.