Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2017 MBP Trackpad Behavior

I have noticed a couple of odd behavioral issues with my trackpad that started recently --

• Double-tapping or single tapping usually requires me to find a different spot on the trackpad to successfully complete the action.
  • Click-and-hold so I can drag something has become so troublesome that I plugged a mouse into my laptop for the first time since the mid-1990s.

Where can I begin my troubleshooting journey?

TIA

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.0

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 8:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 19, 2021 9:31 AM

Although not the only possible cause, the battery in Mac notebooks can affect trackpad function if the battery fails and begins to swell. Swelling progresses rapidly and exerts enough force to damage or destroy your computer, so I would not delay in taking your MBP to Apple as soon as possible for evaluation.

I don't recommend your opening the case, but a simple non-invasive test often picks up early evidence of swelling. Place the computer on a known flat surface (quartz or stone countertops are remarkably flat) and see if the computer rocks on three feet instead of resting solidly on four. That trumpets a bad battery and demands immediate service.

Another indication of a swelling battery is the fit of the case bottom plate to the case chassis. Any gapping in that otherwise tight fit is a big red flag.

Less dire causes may be corrected with an SMC reset:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

If your computer does not rock or show gaps in the case, try the reset.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 19, 2021 9:31 AM in response to OldGnome

Although not the only possible cause, the battery in Mac notebooks can affect trackpad function if the battery fails and begins to swell. Swelling progresses rapidly and exerts enough force to damage or destroy your computer, so I would not delay in taking your MBP to Apple as soon as possible for evaluation.

I don't recommend your opening the case, but a simple non-invasive test often picks up early evidence of swelling. Place the computer on a known flat surface (quartz or stone countertops are remarkably flat) and see if the computer rocks on three feet instead of resting solidly on four. That trumpets a bad battery and demands immediate service.

Another indication of a swelling battery is the fit of the case bottom plate to the case chassis. Any gapping in that otherwise tight fit is a big red flag.

Less dire causes may be corrected with an SMC reset:

How to reset the SMC of your Mac - Apple Support

If your computer does not rock or show gaps in the case, try the reset.

2017 MBP Trackpad Behavior

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.