Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iCloud Tab Syncing Not Working Safari 13 <-> iOS 13

I'm using a 2010 MBP, so High Sierra is the end of the line for me. With iOS 12, iCloud Tabs worked fine with Safari on my Mac. Now, with iOS 13 (and 13.1), it no longer communicates.

My iPad and iPhone (both on iOS 13.1) share tabs with no issue. Safari on my computer (13.0.1) sees neither.

Is this expected behavior on the older macOS (I'd assume the new Safari should include necessary sync updates)?

Thanks.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 2:08 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 1:55 PM

I am in the same situation: I have a late 2009 iMac with macOS High Sierra which is the latest version supported for my Mac.

iCloud tabs have always worked fine on my Mac on Safari (also with the latest version 13.0.1) and on my iPhone until iOS 12.

Since I have updated to iOS 13, iCloud tabs stopped working: on iMac in Safari there is the iCloud tabs button but it loads anything while on iPhone in Safari nothing appears.

The latest version iOS 13.1 didn't resolve the issue.

The iCloud tabs are a very useful function, how can the problem be solved to restore the correct behaviour?

Thanks

83 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 27, 2019 1:55 PM in response to umparrothead

I am in the same situation: I have a late 2009 iMac with macOS High Sierra which is the latest version supported for my Mac.

iCloud tabs have always worked fine on my Mac on Safari (also with the latest version 13.0.1) and on my iPhone until iOS 12.

Since I have updated to iOS 13, iCloud tabs stopped working: on iMac in Safari there is the iCloud tabs button but it loads anything while on iPhone in Safari nothing appears.

The latest version iOS 13.1 didn't resolve the issue.

The iCloud tabs are a very useful function, how can the problem be solved to restore the correct behaviour?

Thanks

Oct 27, 2019 11:44 AM in response to Madam Bomb

Typing from the same generation laptop, just running High Sierra. If you need tab syncing features, you can always use Reading List (I think that syncs) or a bookmark folder. Definitely less useful and seamless. Also, you can use another browser on both devices (like Firefox) which has its own sync engine.

In the meantime, definitely file feedback with your issues at https://www.apple.com/feedback/safari.html.

Mar 10, 2020 11:45 AM in response to Phil Boogie

I got this working: it appears that the very muddled formulations in the Apple support documents regarding the issue are effective.

All I did was the good, old, stupid "off/on" method on both devices. After that I opened several tabs in Safari 13.0.5 under High Sierra and made sure they appear in iOS 12.4.1, which they did.

This is not in any way a user-friendly notification of the users about the nature of the problem and sustainability of the current compatibility situation. But I suspect iCloud tab syncing for High Sierra will be ultimately dropped once it stops receiving Security updates.

Please refer to the screenshot to verify yourself my findings. The same tabs on the MBP and iPhone are enclosed in the red rectangles. I put the date stamp to assure you that it reflects the actual state of things.

Not to say the syncing itself is seamless: it's rather wonky and wobbling.

Sep 28, 2019 7:25 AM in response to umparrothead

Something is broken if Safari 13.0.1 I think. Have the similar issue. I have NOT upgraded to iOS 13 yet, but I did update Safari on my iMac only. Now, my Safari tabs only show up between my iPhone (12.4.1) and Macbook(running Safari 12.1.2). The tabs do not work between my iMac with Safari 13.0.1 or any other device.

BUT...

Handoff still works, and the iCloud synced reading list still work between all devices. So it seems the tabs sync is somehow broken.

Sep 29, 2019 9:09 AM in response to tjstroker

Interesting. Given my computer's too old for Handoff, I cannot say if that works or not. However, I recall during the iOS beta testing that Apple Engineering wrote back on a bug about tab syncing that iOS 13 uses a fully encrypted sync. It's likely that this new encryption isn't working right on Safari 13, especially on the older macOS versions (bet it will be fine on Catalina, for those who can upgrade).

Oct 10, 2019 9:01 AM in response to solitone_

Yes, I know that it works on macOS Mojave and Catalina.

The issue is that the iCloud tabs function does not work on macOS High Sierra running Safari 13.0.2. Tabs from other devices are not received, and on devices running the more recent macOS and iOS updates, you cannot see the tabs that you have open on the High Sierra device. All devices are running Safari 13.

iCloud Tab Syncing Not Working Safari 13 <-> iOS 13

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.