Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Photos

I'm trying to turn off ICloud on my Mac. When I deselect [ICloud Photos] it gives the message 21 low resolution photos will be removed from this Mac. Full resolution photos will still be available in ICloud. How do I know which photos are low resolution, which phots I need to download from ICloud? I have over 11,000 photos and it's saying download them 1,000 at a time. UGH.

iMac Pro

Posted on Sep 26, 2019 9:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 29, 2019 12:01 PM

Hey there Shernathia,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. I see that you're receiving an alert stating your low resolution photos will be removed if you turn off iCloud on your Mac. I know photos can be extremely valuable. I'm happy to help.

It sounds like you're using Optimize Storage with iCloud Photos. With this feature, smaller, space-saving photos and videos are kept on your Mac while all of your original, full-resolution versions are stored in iCloud. When sign out of iCloud the lower resolution photos will be deleted from the Mac, the originals are still stored in iCloud. Use the steps in the link below to download the originals to your Mac:

Download iCloud photos and videos

Cheers 

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 29, 2019 12:01 PM in response to Shernathia

Hey there Shernathia,

Thank you for using Apple Support Communities. I see that you're receiving an alert stating your low resolution photos will be removed if you turn off iCloud on your Mac. I know photos can be extremely valuable. I'm happy to help.

It sounds like you're using Optimize Storage with iCloud Photos. With this feature, smaller, space-saving photos and videos are kept on your Mac while all of your original, full-resolution versions are stored in iCloud. When sign out of iCloud the lower resolution photos will be deleted from the Mac, the originals are still stored in iCloud. Use the steps in the link below to download the originals to your Mac:

Download iCloud photos and videos

Cheers 

Photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.