Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot update AW4 to watchOS 5.3.1

My new AW4 has watchOS 5.2.1, while the most recent available version is 5.3.1 (see https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201222 ) . However I cannot update my watch since I use it with my iPhone 6 (iOS 12.4.2), and iPhone's Watch up says "to update the software on your Apple Watch, you first need to update the software on your iPhone". iPhone 6 can't be updated to iOS 13, I get it. So the AW can't be updated to watch OS6 - I get that too.

But why can it not be updated to 5.3.1???

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 27, 2019 2:48 PM

8 replies

Oct 1, 2019 4:17 PM in response to 8k84

The Apple Support account in Twitter might have meant that when you call Apple Support and the first person that attempts to assist you is unable to, that person passes you on to a Senior Advisor , or an advisor that has more experience in resolving problems. When that person cannot solve your issue they will pass it on to the Engineering Department. Apple makes quite an effort to resolve a Users problems. That's escalation.

Oct 1, 2019 4:25 PM in response to julieda

Yes, that’s escalation of a phone call, but to escalate a Twitter exchange to a phone call? On Twitter they have no time pressure, they can talk to whoever they need before replying - like in this case to check with the Eng Dpt if a watch can get an OS5 update with an iPhone 6. Or at least that’s how I would do it. Maybe I’m just naive.

Oct 5, 2019 9:27 AM in response to 8k84

I had a phone call with a "senior advisor" from Apple Support. Turned out, the senior advisor was not very senior, she was not able to give a definitive answer despite two consultations with someone else two times during the call. However, half a day later she called me back to say that no, it is not (currently) possible to update AW4 to watchOS 5.3.1using iPhone 6.

Cannot update AW4 to watchOS 5.3.1

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.