Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No contact names for short phone numbers on recent calls

After update to iOS 13, contact names for 4-digit short numbers are no longer show on recent calls. We are using 4-digit vpn numbers at our company and everyone saved with their numbers like that on my phone. When I click info button on recent calls, I can see saved contact info. But on recent calls menu there is no name for call even though numbers are saved on contacts. There was no problem on iOS 12.

iPhone X

Posted on Sep 28, 2019 11:35 AM

13 replies

Sep 28, 2019 11:23 PM in response to ciddisiyah

Indeed this is a serious problem with companies in Turkey employing Turkcell's business calling plans. All incoming calls are announced with short 4 digit numbers and since iOS 13 iPhones fail to match those with the contact name and display proper contact name. However Apple Watch phone app displays these correctly. So this is a problem that only occurs on iPhones with iOS 13 and higher.

Sep 29, 2019 8:38 AM in response to urbncwby76

Thanks for pointing out your thread - i never seem to find things when I search.

Although it seems as if wouldn't be an item that Apple would change in IOS 13 is seems as if they have decided that phone numbers to be displayed as contacts must be a very specific format and not in like with what contacts and prior IOS uses. Hopefully, this will be fixed in one of the soon dot releases. Makes no sense to me what they changed.

Oct 23, 2019 10:57 PM in response to ciddisiyah

This is weird. Today I woke up to a recent calls list full of short numbers and I did nothing to fix the problem but when I made a call to one of those numbers problem resolved on its own. I think iOS might be trying to identify these numbers every time they are displayed by querying a server and if that query connection fails or that server doesn't have the correct info, it may be leaving numbers as numbers. Seems very counterintuitive.

No contact names for short phone numbers on recent calls

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.