Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV not recognising iCloud account name or password

Recently my 3rd Gen Apple TV has stopped accessing iCloud. I have Reset, hard reset, put in recovery mode, and put back to factory settings. Nothing has helped. I have changed the iCloud password to see if it was that, but still no success. I input the apple id, the password and the two factor code and it just states that alternatively iCloud is unavailable or my account name is not recognised.

I can access iTunes stores via the apple TV, but I cannot log into iCloud or home sharing using the same apple id. I read past experiences which pointed to turning off two factor authentication but that is no longer possible so therefore is not a solution I can use.

Any suggestions?

Posted on Sep 29, 2019 1:47 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 8, 2019 12:12 PM

Replying to my own post as I worked it. In short the problem was actually with my iPhone XS which was seemingly at odds with iCloud. I identified this when I noticed that keychain could not be selected to 'on' in the settings menu no matter what I tried. I also noted that the HomeKit app was not functioning correctly.

Having identified what I perceived to be the fault, I signed out of icloud on my iphone and then signed back in. This enabled Keychain straight away, HomeKit to start functioning correctly and finally I was able to log in to icloud on my Apple TV.

The troubling issue is that outwardly, there were not other recognisable symptoms from the phone that identified this was the problem.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 8, 2019 12:12 PM in response to JCSTiger

Replying to my own post as I worked it. In short the problem was actually with my iPhone XS which was seemingly at odds with iCloud. I identified this when I noticed that keychain could not be selected to 'on' in the settings menu no matter what I tried. I also noted that the HomeKit app was not functioning correctly.

Having identified what I perceived to be the fault, I signed out of icloud on my iphone and then signed back in. This enabled Keychain straight away, HomeKit to start functioning correctly and finally I was able to log in to icloud on my Apple TV.

The troubling issue is that outwardly, there were not other recognisable symptoms from the phone that identified this was the problem.

Apple TV not recognising iCloud account name or password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.