Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

use watch to open mac

I have used my Apple Watch to open my MacBook Pro for several years. I recently updated both my iPhone (iOS 13) and Apple Watch (6.0). Now my MacBook can't communicate with my watch. Is there a setting I'm missing?

Apple Watch

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 7:15 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 1, 2019 1:57 PM

I doubt it.

Is Security & Privacy reporting your Mac is "unable to communicate with Apple Watch" even though it is on your wrist, unlocked, you are signed in to iCloud, and otherwise meet all the requirements you already know about and have been following for several years?

The dialog is misleading and unhelpful. When I experienced that problem I found I had to open the Messages app on the Mac (of all things), and "sign in". Once I did that, I was able to select "Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac".

Also, shortly thereafter, a Notification appeared that Wi-Fi calling was available.

It is certainly possible that signing in to Messages was unrelated and unlocking the Mac just spontaneously happened to start working at that time, but nothing else was helping. Signing out / in, rebooting all the devices, etc didn't work but signing in to Messages did.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 1, 2019 1:57 PM in response to yogapi

I doubt it.

Is Security & Privacy reporting your Mac is "unable to communicate with Apple Watch" even though it is on your wrist, unlocked, you are signed in to iCloud, and otherwise meet all the requirements you already know about and have been following for several years?

The dialog is misleading and unhelpful. When I experienced that problem I found I had to open the Messages app on the Mac (of all things), and "sign in". Once I did that, I was able to select "Allow your Apple Watch to unlock your Mac".

Also, shortly thereafter, a Notification appeared that Wi-Fi calling was available.

It is certainly possible that signing in to Messages was unrelated and unlocking the Mac just spontaneously happened to start working at that time, but nothing else was helping. Signing out / in, rebooting all the devices, etc didn't work but signing in to Messages did.

use watch to open mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.