Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Epson print drivers

I have been using an Epson 7800 24 inch printer for 9 years. It has suddenly started messing up my color output. It looks like the printer is double processing my color info. In general my prints are twisted toward too much magenta. It looks very much like the printer software is "assigning" a different profile than the one I choose.

I always print out of photoshop with "Photoshop Manages Colors, Black Point Compensation on.

I also tried printing by selecting "Printer Manages Colors, with Color Matching set to "Epson color controls" AND with Color Matching set to "ColorSync". I tried it with different profiles with different paper and reinstalled the Epson print driver. Print nozzles are clean. Nothing works.

Mac OS 10.12.6, Mac Pro

Any ideas?

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 10:26 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 1:22 PM

If this ends in replacement, look for a large-format printer preferably with AirPrint support, or with IPP/IPPS support, or both, as these can avoid the need for vendor drivers. The replacement printer Epson is marketing for this (SureColor P6000) is oddly dated, based on its macOS support page listing only up through macOS 10.13 High Sierra. Also no interface protocol listings, which can be inferred to mean proprietary protocols and drivers.

13 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2019 1:22 PM in response to VikingOSX

If this ends in replacement, look for a large-format printer preferably with AirPrint support, or with IPP/IPPS support, or both, as these can avoid the need for vendor drivers. The replacement printer Epson is marketing for this (SureColor P6000) is oddly dated, based on its macOS support page listing only up through macOS 10.13 High Sierra. Also no interface protocol listings, which can be inferred to mean proprietary protocols and drivers.

Oct 3, 2019 5:52 PM in response to sabur193

I also ran across the following Apple Support Page https://support.apple.com/kb/DL1792?viewlocale=en_US&locale=en_US

It's a download link for the Epson Printer Drivers v3.2 for OS X.

I already installed the latest print driver for my Epson 7800 from the Epson website. Does anyone know if Apples' print driver (form the above link) is an OS upgrade or is it the same as Epson's driver for my 7800? I'm hesitant to instal the download until I know what it is.

Oct 1, 2019 1:13 PM in response to jozl

jozl wrote:

Helpful but not solved, thanks.

Okay, that’s a somewhat ambiguous (tripled) statement.

And if it’s not solved, telling us (only) that it’s not solved doesn’t move the discussion.

What have you tried of the suggestions (update, remove-add, reset), what (didn’t) happened, etc.

Best? Contact Epson Support. Their printer, their drivers, etc.

Oct 1, 2019 1:57 PM in response to MrHoffman

Hi, Sorry for multiple replies, confusing blog page. I spoke to Epson support. They were able to determine that it's a software problem but couldn't suggest anything that I haven't already tried. I downloaded the Epson print driver and reset my printer. Don't know what else I can do. Reset my OS??

Oct 1, 2019 2:20 PM in response to jozl

So to confirm, you’ve loaded the drivers, removed and re-added the printer, rebooted, and then—if that fails—have reset the printing system as described earlier and rebooted, and then re-added the printer, and that’s all failed?

Any add-on anti-malware or anti-virus apps here? Any add-on cleaning apps, add-on performance-optimizing apps, or any add-on network firewall apps?

Oct 1, 2019 4:58 PM in response to MrHoffman

I've done all that has been suggested, several times. I'm connected to my printer via ethernet (IP address). I wonder if that's the problem. Next I'll find someone with photoshop loaded on their laptop and try connecting to my printer via USB. I also have an old backup of my system, I'll try printing from that as well. Thanks for all your help. I'll let you know the outcome of my future attempts. At this point I'm about ready to throw the printer in the lake.

Oct 3, 2019 6:02 PM in response to jozl

jozl wrote:

I also ran across the following Apple Support Page ... for the Epson Printer Drivers v3.2 for OS X.
Does anyone know if Apples' print driver (form the above link) is an OS upgrade or is it the same as Epson's driver...

Apple does not offer drivers for Epson, HP, or other vendors. They previously repackaged the vendor drivers for distribution. Drivers get distributed either directly from the printer vendor, or indirectly via the CUPS open-source project.

Apple and Microsoft snd other vendors would have to severely curtail printer device support, given the plethora of utterly incompatible printers in the market, and the printer model churn, otherwise. Some of these printers require host-based rendering too, and nobody but the printer vendor wants to deal with that. And probably not even the printer vendors, really...

This driver mess is undoubtedly part of why Apple started pushing AirPrint and IPP/IPPS access, and reducing or eliminating the need for printer drivers, too.

Epson print drivers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.