Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I erase old white 2008 MacBook? The erase on disk utilities is greyed out and command r does not work as it goes direst to log in. If I put the original install disk in it attempts to install another OS in the free disk space.

How do I erase old white 2008 MacBook? The erase on disk utilities is greyed out and command r does not work as it goes direst to log in. If I put the original install disk in it attempts to install another OS in the free disk space.

MacBook

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 11:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 5:34 PM

If you have an original OSX install DVD, then when it boots, go to the Utilities or Tools menu and select Disk Utility. Make sure to select the physical disk in the left pane of Disk Utility. Then select the "Partition" tab in the right side. Click on the drop down list and select "1 partition" and make sure "MacOS Extended (Journaled)" is selected as well. Then click "Apply". Quit Disk Utility and continue with reinstalling OSX.

If you want to zero out the drive for security reasons, then you need to select the "Advanced" options button under the "Erase" tab. Writing a single pass of zeroes to the drive should be sufficient to protect your privacy. If Filevault was previously used, then this should not be necessary.

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 30, 2019 5:34 PM in response to ChrisH23

If you have an original OSX install DVD, then when it boots, go to the Utilities or Tools menu and select Disk Utility. Make sure to select the physical disk in the left pane of Disk Utility. Then select the "Partition" tab in the right side. Click on the drop down list and select "1 partition" and make sure "MacOS Extended (Journaled)" is selected as well. Then click "Apply". Quit Disk Utility and continue with reinstalling OSX.

If you want to zero out the drive for security reasons, then you need to select the "Advanced" options button under the "Erase" tab. Writing a single pass of zeroes to the drive should be sufficient to protect your privacy. If Filevault was previously used, then this should not be necessary.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.