Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail app keeps opening last read email even though I move back to the Inbox and then close app

Running iOS 13.1.1

I've noticed a weird behavior in my mail app since the upgrade to iOS 13. My mail app will open to my last read email even if I have closed the email and go back to the Inbox and close the app. I expect that it would just go back to the Inbox on reload but instead, it shows the email again. I checked settings to see if there was a new option but did not find anything that fit this behavior.

iPhone 7

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 12:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2019 6:14 AM

It seems clear that Apple is not offering any meaningful solution to the problem. I have updated and done the work around and it still has not fixed the problem. The customer service leaves much to be desired

53 replies

Oct 13, 2019 6:50 AM in response to gozervt

I am having the same issue with the mail app opening the last email on my phone even if I have fully closed/killed the mail app.

I sometimes read an email then mark it unread to deal with it later in the day. When I go back to my inbox later on it automatically opens that email in full text rather than bringing me to my new unread emails. I do tunes have to mark the same email unread up to 5Xs in a day! Just to get back to my inbox to look at new mail.

very frustrating since 70% of my day is spent on emails.

Jan 22, 2020 6:46 PM in response to gozervt

If you pull down and refresh the view/folder before you close the app, next time the app will automatically open up to that view/folder and NOT the last folder that was open.

So if you’d like the app to open up to the unread messages folder, then go to that folder before closing and refresh. The next time you open the app, it will automatically take you to the unread messages folder.

Nov 29, 2019 12:44 PM in response to Susu21

Agreed and it didn’t fix it anyways. They told me as a resolution to go in to a store to diagnose the problem. I have a very busy lifestyle, I don’t have time to go in. It’s very annoying. Hope it’s resolved ASAP! It’s annoyed me this much that it’s the first time I’ve contributed to a thread. I’m sure there’s millions of other users experiencing the same problem.

Dec 3, 2019 8:02 AM in response to gozervt

I also have this problem. With the mail app, contacts app, AND iMessage. It’s the most frustrating thing I’ve ever encountered with a cell phone. I’ve used Apple for over 10 years and something as simple as this, that NOBODY at Apple will address, has forced me to order an android. Later Apple, hopefully you fix it or if you don’t hopefully others smarten up as well.

Dec 15, 2019 8:53 AM in response to Keegant98

Still not fixed in 13.3 Do people not understand the problem? If I close my mail app in the unread folder and then I get a new email when i open up the app. It always opens up in the inbox not unread mail folder. So now instead of just seeing unread mail I see all my mail. This was not happening in ios 12. The only way around this is to haptic touch mail and then tap unread mail. But if you do that your read mail stays in the unread folder. So the next time you open unread mail there's your read mail. You have to tap on inbox and then go back to unread mail to get your read mail removed from the unread folder. Thanks Apple.

Mail app keeps opening last read email even though I move back to the Inbox and then close app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.