Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail keeps opening up to last read email

Mail started constantly opening up to the last read email yesterday. As in the last email that I read slowly. Even if I refreshed the inbox or opened another email briefly, that same “slowly read” email kept dominating. I found an old thread here about the issue back in iOS 13 (I’m in iOS 15 now), and tried all those solutions, but nothing worked. In the end, I had to delete and reinstall the Mail app to fix it. I couldn’t add this solution to the old thread, so am posting it here to help out anyone who may be encountering the same issue now in March 2022. I’m on an iPhone SE 2020.

iPhone SE

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 1:38 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 2, 2022 2:34 AM

No, it should open up to the last thing that you had open in the app, so if that's the inbox, with all the emails listed, rather than a specific email, it should open to the inbox. The glitch is when it opens to a particular email repeatedly, even after you've navigated away from it, refreshed the inbox, changed boxes, or even opened up a different email. That is the problem I'm describing and it is indeed an annoying problem. But also one that I solved, which is why I'm sharing the solution.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 2, 2022 2:34 AM in response to LD150

No, it should open up to the last thing that you had open in the app, so if that's the inbox, with all the emails listed, rather than a specific email, it should open to the inbox. The glitch is when it opens to a particular email repeatedly, even after you've navigated away from it, refreshed the inbox, changed boxes, or even opened up a different email. That is the problem I'm describing and it is indeed an annoying problem. But also one that I solved, which is why I'm sharing the solution.

Mail keeps opening up to last read email

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.