Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bug/Change in Pencil PDF Markup in iPad OS

Dear Apple,

You've changed what was an excellent iOS 12 pencil behavior for PDF markup in iOS 13/iPadOS. You used to be able to scroll PDFs with your thumb while drawing with the pencil to mark-up PDFs. When one would lift the pencil one could continue to scroll without having to "toggle off" the markup icon (top right).

In iPadOS the Apple Pencil activates PERMANENTLY the markup feature, and now, when I try to scroll with my left thumb, I unintentionally draw lines on the PDF instead of scrolling. As a user, I now have to constantly toggle off the pencil icon so I can continue to scroll the document, resulting in a terrible user experience for those of us who purchased the iPad to work on large documents digitally with the pencil.

Please revert back the pencil behavior for PDF mark up as it was in iOS 12.

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 5:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 5:41 PM

Hello,

If you would like Apple to consider your opinions then please use the proper medium.

Product Feedback - Apple

13 replies

Oct 29, 2019 10:06 AM in response to QuickPost

@zmclearan: I'm glad to see that I'm not the only one having this issue, as multiple people have been asking the same question this month. You have replied to each of these comments regarding the recent change in Apple Pencil function with the statement "this is a 'feature,' not a 'bug.'

Can you elaborate on this statement? Why was this feature added? What is the purpose? If this change provides some extra functionality that would outweigh the loss of efficiency when reading/writing/highlighting, it would be helpful to know.

@Kathi28: Thank you for the tip regarding scrolling with two fingers. This does appear to counteract the new changes, though it is definitely not as efficient as simply scrolling with your thumb as many other users have mentioned. But at least it is a way to get around the change while Apple reconsiders the new 'feature.'

Bug/Change in Pencil PDF Markup in iPad OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.