Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPadOS: pdf in files and Apple Pencil (1)

Hello. In the past I used to be able to scroll with my fingers and annotate or highlight with my pencil. Ever since the new markup update, whenever I use the Pencil on my screen, it goes straight into markup mode. Then, when I use my finger, it annotates in stead of scrolling. I have to manually uncheck markup in the upper right corner before I can continue.

The ease of scrolling and quickly annotating has been taken away by this change. Am I missing an option or doing something wrong? Or did Apple remove my favourite feature?

iPad Air, iOS 13

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 1:14 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 13, 2019 2:42 PM

This change to the Notes App in iPadOS13.x is often complained about. You now scroll using two fingers - not one.

You can also completely disable drawing with your finger, in Notes, with this setting:

Settings > Notes > Only Draw With Apple Pencil - set to ON.

I hope these tips will be helpful in resolving your difficulties.

Similar questions

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 13, 2019 2:42 PM in response to PorkyJack

This change to the Notes App in iPadOS13.x is often complained about. You now scroll using two fingers - not one.

You can also completely disable drawing with your finger, in Notes, with this setting:

Settings > Notes > Only Draw With Apple Pencil - set to ON.

I hope these tips will be helpful in resolving your difficulties.

Dec 29, 2019 8:59 AM in response to PorkyJack

I'm with you on this. My favorite feature has been taken away. And the way it's configured now is so non-intuitive with the design of the system.

What I cannot figure out is that to have a "draw with apple pencil only" is an industry standard across so many apps--just like not having to scroll with two fingers (which I believe is a method prone to subtle error).

It's difficult to understand what the advantage is to the change. If someone can enlighten me...please have at it.

iPadOS: pdf in files and Apple Pencil (1)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.