Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

macOS Catalina requirements

Does anyone know how much disk space the new OS is going to take? All I can find is how much free space you need to make the update.

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 9:53 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 30, 2019 11:09 PM

No one is going to know until Catalina is available. As an aside, you need to keep sufficient empty disk space in order for the OS to function properly - an absolute minimum of 10 - 15 GB at all times is reommended.

9 replies

Oct 1, 2019 5:41 AM in response to babowa

I attempted to back track and locate the Apple content that I had read that mentioned the storage minimum was 18 GB for new macOS installations, but could not find it again. Realistically, I have been advising 20 - 22 GB as the absolute minimum just for breathing room. I imagine with all the extra, and IMHO, unneeded features in Catalina, that it will require substantially more room than Mojave.

Oct 1, 2019 10:20 AM in response to VikingOSX

I agree with that - the new features will surely increase its size. Personally, I have always maintained a minimum of 200 GB since I do a fair amount of editing/rendering video which does require plenty of empty space, but for "general" recommendations, I've been going with the majority here which I will now have to adjust. I also seem to remember having seen something about 18 GB, but cannot remember where that was.

macOS Catalina requirements

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.