Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

13.1.2 Bluetooth no working with uconnect

My iPhone 11 pro can’t find my uconnect 8.4

reset network

removed device from uconnect

any idea?

iPhone 11 Pro

Posted on Oct 1, 2019 6:04 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 11, 2019 9:41 AM

So over the last week Ive been doing a little testing.

100% of the time (25+ times) when starting the car at the back of my property or out and about with the phone on me and no apple watch on it connects fine although twice it connected the phone for calls but didn't connect for music and I had to manually click the music device connection and it would then connect without issue.

Around 50% of the time (10 times) when I would start the car while either wearing the watch or even if I started the car from the front of my property which is right next to my bedroom so the watch would be in range of my cell and I assume still be connected on some level the Iphone 11 pro would not connect to my 2012 Chrysler 300.

The reason I still think its on the uconnect end is as follows;

1. I had this issue with my last iphoneX for the previous 18 months around twice a month. It was noticeable enough to me that I would only start my car in the morning to warm up if my iphone was left in the kitchen next to the driveway so the phone was never out of range of the car.
  2. I previously noticed with the iphoneX that if the car connected and then I took the phone out of range of the car it was 50/50 if the car would reconnect when I went back into range.
  3. If the car didnt connect or lost connection due to range the only way to reconnect was to turn the car off and leave it off for 5+ mins. No amount of button clicking in either the bluetooth menus of the car or phone would ever get it back. If i lose connection due to range in my van with a pioneer headunit I simply connect again via the bluetooth menu of the iphone and 100% of the time within 2 seconds its reconnected.

My conclusions from reading the posts here and my own experience are;

1. It appears that if you have any device connected via bluetooth (not limited to just the apple watch seeing others have had the issue while wearing other brand smart watches) we run the risk of our phone not connecting to uconnect.
  2. It seems to only be an issue with unconnect and iphone as others and myself have no issue with connecting to any other brand headunits.
  3. The later your iphone model is the greater your chance of seeing the issue

Let me know what you guys think

111 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 11, 2019 9:41 AM in response to MadManNZ

So over the last week Ive been doing a little testing.

100% of the time (25+ times) when starting the car at the back of my property or out and about with the phone on me and no apple watch on it connects fine although twice it connected the phone for calls but didn't connect for music and I had to manually click the music device connection and it would then connect without issue.

Around 50% of the time (10 times) when I would start the car while either wearing the watch or even if I started the car from the front of my property which is right next to my bedroom so the watch would be in range of my cell and I assume still be connected on some level the Iphone 11 pro would not connect to my 2012 Chrysler 300.

The reason I still think its on the uconnect end is as follows;

1. I had this issue with my last iphoneX for the previous 18 months around twice a month. It was noticeable enough to me that I would only start my car in the morning to warm up if my iphone was left in the kitchen next to the driveway so the phone was never out of range of the car.
  2. I previously noticed with the iphoneX that if the car connected and then I took the phone out of range of the car it was 50/50 if the car would reconnect when I went back into range.
  3. If the car didnt connect or lost connection due to range the only way to reconnect was to turn the car off and leave it off for 5+ mins. No amount of button clicking in either the bluetooth menus of the car or phone would ever get it back. If i lose connection due to range in my van with a pioneer headunit I simply connect again via the bluetooth menu of the iphone and 100% of the time within 2 seconds its reconnected.

My conclusions from reading the posts here and my own experience are;

1. It appears that if you have any device connected via bluetooth (not limited to just the apple watch seeing others have had the issue while wearing other brand smart watches) we run the risk of our phone not connecting to uconnect.
  2. It seems to only be an issue with unconnect and iphone as others and myself have no issue with connecting to any other brand headunits.
  3. The later your iphone model is the greater your chance of seeing the issue

Let me know what you guys think

Jan 23, 2020 11:19 AM in response to Rich Cunningham

To me this is and always has been a Uconnect problem rather than an apple problem.

My reasons are as follows;

1. I had this issue with my last iphoneX for the previous 18 months around twice a month although I never worked out that wearing the apple watch contributed to the issue. It was noticeable enough to me that I would only start my car in the morning to warm up if my iphone was in range of the car.
  4. Uconnect is average at best with Uconnect not even populating track information on the screen let alone album art that most other units do when connected via bluetooth and for a 2012 vehicle its crazy that at least track data doesn't come accross. I can only see this not implemented as a way to limit the amount of data transferred most likely due to using a very old bluetooth module.

I worked as a hardware test engineer with a large componant of that job being hardware compatibilty and have seen it multiple times where older products that once worked fine develop issuies when new versions of software come out or speeds are increased and it was caused by bad implementation originally.

The biggest thing to me is why cant I press a button and manually connect if it doesn't connect automatically? Why is Uconnect now in some frozen mode that wont allow connection unless restarting the entire car? Restarting the phone doesnt fix anything only restarting the car so to me there's no way its an apple issue.

Jan 23, 2020 1:10 PM in response to MadManNZ

Well I'm starting to think it's the uConnect system as well. I'm not sure if it's specific to the 8.4N or what, but it sure is random in my car. I spent a considerable amount of time troubleshooting this afternoon with Apple on the phone. I had thought it had something to do with the watch, but now I'm not sure.

I ran four tests with the rep on the phone. I went out to the car as I normally would with my watch on and whatnot, and sure enough, the phone connects twice consecutively with no problems. The third and fourth attempts, no connection no matter what we try. Here's what I've done to this point:

• Eliminated the watch from the equation. It doesn't seem to matter if I'm wearing it or not. I turned it off, left it in the office, etc. Unless it's a proximity thing, I don't think it matters.
  • Deleted the phone from uConnect and uConnect from the phone. I can re-pair sometimes, sometimes not.
  • Restarted all devices multiple times.
  • Eliminated other devices by disconnecting them and re-pairing. They connect back up every time to the phone.

I got out to fill up at the gas station, tried to pair again, and the phone paired with uConnect flawlessly. Made a call, listened to music. Turned off the car once I got to my destination, restarted. Nothing again.

It's no secret that these uConnect Bluetooth modules are garbage. I've already replaced it once after I got the endless "System Initializing" message indicating that the original module was toast. The problem is that they've gone up in price, way up (over $400 on eBay), so replacing the module on a hunch is out of my price range for now.

Apple collected data from my phone and I have a case open with the engineering team. Those people probably don't interface with customers, so I'm waiting for the rep to get back to me by Tuesday, the latest. The next thing I'm going to try even though I've done it already is to upgrade the uConnect firmware. Last I looked, it's been about 3 years since the last update and I already updated back then.

Oct 2, 2019 10:13 AM in response to Dudly77

Same Story.

My wife and I just picked up our new iPhone Max Pros on Monday evening. My wife paired it to her UConnect 8.4 in our 2014 Journey. Everything seemed fine. She parked the car and about 1.5 hours later when she was leaving she noticed it didn't connect. After she arrived home and had tried everything. (removing the profile for her old phone from the UConnect. She removed the prior UConnect (from earlier in the day) from her new iphone. Then she called me out. We tried everything. We spent over an hour on this issue. Finally we removed ALL profiles on the UConnect. Rebooted her iPhone several times. Bluetooth on and off - even going to airplane mode at times. Reset ALL the network settings. Found some blogs on how to reboot the UConnect. Ultimately we pulled the battery and let the car sit for 10 minutes. When we hooked it back up her phone could see the UConnect and the Uconnect was connected to her phone (and I paired mine too). SUCCESS - right? WRONG! This a.m. she drove our daughter to school and noticed again her phone was not connected to the Uconnect. Tried to connect it and even repair it - same problems as last night. She didn't go so far as to pull the battery - because after all she wasn't driving anywhere for awhile - so why bother.

Then I found this post - and realized it likely isn't entirely a UConnect issue as much as it is an issue with the latest software (iOS13.1.2) which I now think is the culprit.

Crazy thing though. I have the same phone and is not having this issue in my 2015 Dart GT. Maybe a different UConnect version in my car?

Oct 22, 2019 11:17 AM in response to Dudly77

I am also having the same issue where after the initial Bluetooth phone pairing with my 2014 uconnect system in my Chrysler 300. The reconnection only happens sometimes. Curious if other users with this system notice that it connects more often if you have recent music playing and then paused before you turn on the uconnect for Bluetooth connection. I have the iPhone 11 pro, my older iOS pro with iOS 13 seems to connect all the time.

Oct 22, 2019 12:13 PM in response to Bigbobgiii

the only thing that seems to have made it even somewhat better was going in and resetting my network settings. it certainly hasn't fixed the issue but it has made it connect at least a little bit more often.

i had my phone forget the uconnect and then i reset the network settings and then paired it again. it isn't a 100% fix by any means but i really do feel like it works more often than not now but ymmv.

Nov 3, 2019 7:10 PM in response to Dudly77

I've been having the same issues with my 2015 Dodge Journey. It will connect about 50% of the time, and at times has lost connectivity during a call. Today it wouldn't connect at, so I deleted it off my phone, and from the car, and now it won't pair at all. One interesting thing is that after I delete the phone from my car, it still shows my favorites on the car screen. Not sure what to do next. I've called Apple, they've remotely checked my iPhone 11 Pro out, and say it's fine.

Nov 4, 2019 8:14 AM in response to Rich Cunningham

For what it is worth, my wife and I have the same issues, but looks like we have resolved it so far. I have a 2012 Charger and she has a 2014 300, both with uConnect fully up-to-date and iPhone 11 Pro/Max with 13.2

After a few long calls with Apple support, diagnostics sessions, etc, they replaced my phone. So far, I've gone 3 days with no issues. My wife's phone still has issues. They believe some batches may have faulty hardware despite the phone diagnostics saying otherwise. Engineering is reporting "low signal" from the iPhone itself, so the car isn't able to find the phone and connect.

I have also heard that those who ARE calling in about the issue haven't been willing to spend time with Apple and provide diagnostic information. Push the Apple representative to speak to Senior advisor, who will then get engineering involved. We are now on track to replacing my wife's phone for the same issue.

Nov 4, 2019 9:05 AM in response to crysalis

Thanks for the update. Last night I spent sometime looking on the internet, and found that some users had luck with resetting their network settings. So I did that, and was able to pair my phone successfully with my Dodge. I'll see how successful it is connecting consistently. But I will definitely be a little more pushy in asking for support next time I call. I've also noticed that my BT connection to my FitBit comes and goes at times, but not the one to my Apple Watch......

Nov 15, 2019 1:43 AM in response to Rich Cunningham

Same thing here in New Zealand with Dodge Journey 2015. Connects about one out of 10, try to manually search from both sides, i.e. asking the car to connect AND asking the phone to connect.... still, no banana. Cmon Apple, I shouldn't have to upgrade my phone then go backwards! I get another lens on the back of the phone but now I can't use my phone in the car?!

Nov 16, 2019 9:04 AM in response to Curry2K12

As an update to my case, they replaced my phone and did not improve the situation. They are still working on collecting logs. Everyone in this thread really needs to call Apple so they can gather more data than just me. It’s painful, I know, but the only way they can help is if they know more info. I’m in the IT field and while it is frustrating on end user side, it’s equally frustrating on their side.

I am awaiting responses from engineering teams that have my logging information.

Nov 19, 2019 3:16 AM in response to Dudly77

I was so happy to read that I wasn't losing it with my Iphone 11 pro not wanting to connect to my 2014 Dodge Journey. Since, I got my phone I have had it actually connect maybe 5 times. I have reset the network settings, reset my phone, wipe my uconnect clean & it's hit or miss....I call apple yesterday & the rep. hung up on me & had no return call....Apple is really starting to **** me off.

13.1.2 Bluetooth no working with uconnect

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.