Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad Pro and Canon .CR3 Images

Is it still the case that the Photos app on iPad Pro (latest iPadOS, 13.1.2) can’t import Canon .CR3 files via an Apple SD card reader connected to the iPad port? I just tried this repeatedly with a card reader and it said it was importing, but I got a white expanse. I reconfirmed that .CR2 imports just fine from the card reader. Thanks!

Posted on Oct 1, 2019 6:32 PM

5 replies

Oct 2, 2019 7:01 PM in response to QuickPost

OK, I was wrong about .CR3 not being supported on iPad. It’s an app issue. Apparently, for Canon one must use the Canon Camera Connect app to connect to the camera via WiFi. I tried it and it works. I uploaded .CR3’s with the Canon app, exported them to the Photos app, and from there I imported them into Lightroom for iPad, which was my objective in the first place. This is a needlessly complicated process. I don’t know who needs to fix this—Apple or Adobe—but it does need fixing, IMO. As things stand, this involved process isn’t of much help to me, as I would like to be shooting with another card while my pics upload to iPad Pro from the previous card. Works with .jpg and .CR2, but not with .CR3’s.

Perhaps the import process will be streamlined when Photoshop for iPad Pro is released. For now, my problem is as “solved” as it can be.

Oct 6, 2019 5:05 AM in response to David Illig

I hardly found something in the web ... but here‘s what I found out: importing the CR3 over the USB-C Card Reader is no problem ... you just don‘t see a preview which is a nag. But you can import these files e.g. in lightroom mobile an process them without problems - even if lightroom tells you not to be able to view them - just ignore that. BUT I found out something else ... when I setup my EOS R or RP the way to record both RAW and e.g. a small JPEG, you‘ll see a preview in iOS/Photos. Then you also the a preview when selecting the import in lightroom - AND it imports the RAW then. I wonder if the JPEG ist embedded in the CR3RAW and the software is clever enough. However it works fine and I can edit the images in full resolution

iPad Pro and Canon .CR3 Images

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.