Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't gift app from the App Store.

I'm trying to gift an app from the App Store, but every time I enter the gift info (recipient's email, my name, message) and try to send, I receive the following error: "Invalid Gift. You must enter your sender's email address."

I'm not really sure how to fix this issue. I read somewhere that it might be because of Apple IDs that aren't tied to email addresses, but my Apple ID is.

I'm running iOS 13.1.1 on an iPhone 8 Plus.

iPhone 8 Plus

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 1:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 10:00 PM

Looks like the old “T’s & C’s” problem; iTunes terms and conditions have changed, but the message isn’t really clear about that. If you can, find a computer with iTunes and sign-in with your AppleID. Choose “Store” and try to “Send Gift” - a message will pop-up indicating that terms and conditions have changed. Agree to the conditions, then you will again be able to send a gift on iOS or iPadOS.

24 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2019 10:00 PM in response to jongfromsan diego

Looks like the old “T’s & C’s” problem; iTunes terms and conditions have changed, but the message isn’t really clear about that. If you can, find a computer with iTunes and sign-in with your AppleID. Choose “Store” and try to “Send Gift” - a message will pop-up indicating that terms and conditions have changed. Agree to the conditions, then you will again be able to send a gift on iOS or iPadOS.

Oct 30, 2019 7:27 PM in response to MehtapBelgium

Ok. So I too ran into not being able to gift and app. After reading about T&C I decided to try something bc I was to lazy to go get my Mac. So here is how you can fix it from your phone. Go into settings choose App Store and iTunes

click on your Apple ID at the top . Once your on the screen where you can see payments etc . Scroll down to where there is an option to add funds to your Apple ID. You can add a custom amount put 1.00 in. Once you confirm you get prompted with the new terms and conditions. Click through it and bam you can now gift apps again.

Oct 5, 2019 12:36 PM in response to samirghobril

This looks like a iOS 13 issue... because I tried gifting an app on an iPad running iPadOS 13 and it gave me the “Invalid Gift. You must enter your sender’s address.” Tried an iPhone with iOS 13 same thing... and my AppleID is an email address...

Happened to have an iPhone 5 which has iOS 10. Same AppleID... and I was able to gift the app I was trying to gift...

Oct 6, 2019 12:08 AM in response to jongfromsan diego

Apple support told me to send a gift using the iTunes app from a PC or Mac. A window asking me to confirm the Terms and Agreements would appear. After agreeing to the Terms and Conditions, I could the close out of the window. I’m now able to send gifts again from my Apple devices running iOS 13. I also don’t have to fill out the field for my name when sending a gift, because it’s now automatically filled in for me.

Oct 6, 2019 4:41 AM in response to MuesliCrunch

I think you’re right about the terms and conditions thing... I’m able to gift now using my iPhone with iOS 13 and when you mentioned this, I remembered that on the old iPhone 5 that I used where it did work... I was prompted with the terms and conditions legal mumbo jumbo... which I agreed to... (which is likely the reason now that it works... and my name does appear in the sender field automatically)

Having to use iTunes on a computer or an older version of iOS is a terrible solution to this problem though given that some people nowadays won’t be using iTunes on a computer and made worse so given the fact that Apple is killing off the computer-based iTunes applications.

Oct 14, 2019 11:50 PM in response to jongfromsan diego

Just replying to let you guys to let you know you’re right; it’s a problem with IOS 13. Tried gifting with my new iPhone 11 pro. Didn’t work, so gifted on my previous iPhone X with iOS 12 and it worked. Btw Eric Root you shouldn’t be replying if you’re not going to be productive or helpful. Referring people to Apple support is as helpful as not replying at all.

Nov 2, 2019 8:29 AM in response to Jgliddy23

This makes sense but still didn't work for me. I'm trying to gift an app to another Apple ID but cannot get the option to appear. It doesn't help that Catalina has split iTunes into Music and App Store, the app in question is for iOS so isn't listed in the app store on my MacBook and can't be gifted from there.

I can't understand why they've made the process so awkward.

Can't gift app from the App Store.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.