Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert Sony DCR-DVD 200 videos to Mac High Sierra 10.13.6 viewable format

I have a Sony DCR-DVD 200 Handycam (2003 version) that I took home movies on years ago. The camera records on mini-dvds. I can view the recordings via USB cable on iDVD. However, I cannot convert the videos into a different format that will allow viewing with Quick Time or iMovie. I have tried multiple apps from the app store to convert the .vob files with no success. I have reviewed threads on the iMovie forum and there are suggestions. However, all of the threads are older and the software they mention is not up to date with Sierra. Ultimately, I want to store the videos in a universally readable format if that exists. How do I convert the .vob files to a readable format? Thanks for any help.

MacBook Pro

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 6:17 AM

Similar questions

5 replies

Oct 3, 2019 6:58 AM in response to sgmarkham

Yes, I use Handbrake all the time. Many on this forum use it. It is a very popular video converting program and has been around for years.

There was a five day period from May 2, 2017 to May 7, 2017, when the developers of Handbrake announced that they had been attacked by a Trojan. Anybody who downloaded the app during that narrow time period possibly could have downloaded the Trojan. However, since that time I have not been aware of any issues and, as long as you download from Handbrake's official website per the link I gave you, you should be safe. Of course, as you mention, nobody can be 100% sure that anything downloaded from the internet is totally safe.

Here's an article that you can read to satisfy yourself about the safety of Handbrake:

https://macpaw.com/how-to/remove-handbrake-virus

-- Rich

Convert Sony DCR-DVD 200 videos to Mac High Sierra 10.13.6 viewable format

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.