Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Final Cut Pro transforms video creation with Live Multicam on iPad and new AI features on Mac. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extracting-Converting VOB's For Final Cut Pro

Hello

I'm an older Apple user/editor (with a new ID). Looking to extract/convert VOB files off a DVD (Standard Def) to a compatible file for FC Pro 6.0.6

I've converted two different 'Quick Time Files' using Wondershare on a PC (one QT Movie) and the other (H264.AAC). Both are 720x480 and recognized by the QT Player and FC in an older Apple environment. Both however require Render time after the clips were inserted onto the FC Timeline.

Why am I using a PC to extract the files? Merely to save 'running time' on my older Mac Desktops as I have quite a bit of files to be extracted for a documentary. Would it make any difference (regarding render time), if I used Stream Clip and extracted the files on the Mac?

Thank You

Posted on Feb 23, 2022 2:17 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Feb 27, 2022 8:08 PM

I find generational degradation of encoding files to be pretty much a thing of the past. Unless you plan on transcoding this file 5 or 6 times in a row. As for editing and export from an NLE, non-issue, don't worry about it, thing of the past.

I rip DVDs with HandBreak into H.264 and get great quality for editing. You'd probably put one copy in FCP for editing, and one copy somewhere else for archival purposes, right?

Similar questions

10 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Feb 27, 2022 8:08 PM in response to 73Years

I find generational degradation of encoding files to be pretty much a thing of the past. Unless you plan on transcoding this file 5 or 6 times in a row. As for editing and export from an NLE, non-issue, don't worry about it, thing of the past.

I rip DVDs with HandBreak into H.264 and get great quality for editing. You'd probably put one copy in FCP for editing, and one copy somewhere else for archival purposes, right?

Feb 23, 2022 8:37 PM in response to Meg The Dog

Hi Meg - Nice to see you again ...

I haven't been here for a while (used to be ENIGMACODE). I remember you were always helpful and patient.

"you want to convert the files to run natively (not requiring rendering)"

Not necessarily, (practically speaking that may not be possible)

"are you also working with additional formats?"

Some file samples inserted on the time line:

As suggested I try to export slightly larger than stated 720x480 due to variations in files and ratio output - I'll be back with additional information soon ... If possible/practical, (as long as its compatible), I'd like to continue to extract VOB's with a PC in order to save 'run time' *These older Macs can get very hot ... but RENDER time is probably unavoidable .. Yes I'll run a few comparative tests using Stream Clip as well ... Thank You!

Feb 23, 2022 3:29 PM in response to 73Years

Just to verify, you want to convert the files to run natively (not requiring rendering) on older hardware running FCP 6.0.6?

Is your project entirely made up of this source material, or are you also working with additional formats? If so, what formats?

What are the properties for your output file you intend to use? Are they the same as the source?

My suggestion would be to convert the DVD VOB files to Pro Res. You likely won't be able to do that on a PC, but you should be able to do so with MPEG Stream Clip on a mac. Do a small conversion and test the results.

I would also suggest changing the pixel dimensions in the file conversion to 720 x 486 to make it easier to use either source material in the edit and to make a standard 720 x 480 SD master.

MtD

Feb 24, 2022 10:02 AM in response to 73Years

One option which seems to work is to convert .VOB to ProRes 422HQ .mov and import that to FCP:

ffmpeg -i input.vob -c:v prores_ks -profile:v 3 -c:a pcm_s16le output.mov

Interlaced material should be deinterlaced in FCP unless it is already done in ffmpeg.

The rectangular pixels should be converted to square pixels unless it is already done in ffmpeg. FCP might do this automatically at least for .dv. There are many variations but I have used the following:

PAL 4:3 720x576 to 768x576 square pixels: Source must be resampled to 788x576 and cropped 10+10 pixels from both sides to 768x576 (or cropped 9+9 pixels from both sides to 702x576 and scaled to 768x576).

PAL 16:9 720x576 to 1920x1080 square pixels: Source must be resampled to 1969x1080 and cropped with 24+25 pixels from both sides to 1920x1080 (or cropped 9+9 pixels from both sides to 702x576 and scaled to 1920x1080).

NTSC 4:3 720x480 to 640x480 square pixels: Source must be resampled to 648x480 and cropped 4+4 pixels from both sides to 640x480 (or cropped 4+5 pixels from both sides to 711x480 and scaled to 640x480).

NTSC 16:9 720x480 to 1920x1080 square pixels: Source must be resampled to 1944x1080 and cropped 12+13 pixels from both sides to 1920x1080 (or cropped 4+5 pixels from both sides to 711x480 and scaled to 1920x1080).

https://video.stackexchange.com/questions/14712/how-to-encode-apple-prores-on-windows-or-linux

https://ottverse.com/ffmpeg-convert-to-apple-prores-422-4444-hq/

https://video.stackexchange.com/questions/20555/what-are-the-differences-between-the-three-bundled-ffmpeg-prores-encoders

Feb 24, 2022 1:03 PM in response to 73Years

HandBreak on the Mac is what you need, convert to H.264. I used to do this for Louisiana Film Channel all the time. Very fast, easy, simple, uncomplicated.

NOTHING you do will enhance the quality of this very old video, and ProResHQ will eat up tons of drive space and offer you no advantages over H.264 in HandBreak. Very simple, don't over complicate it.

Feb 25, 2022 7:02 PM in response to BenB

Hello Matti Nice to see you!

Hello BenB Nice to see you too!

Sorry for the delay ...

Ben I think you're 'onto something' which could benefit from further clarity. (I'll try to do that in my next post). I agree (considering these files), one should not overcomplicate things. I'm a NARA researcher extracting numerous film clips (NTSC 4:3) only from many DVD's, all in standard definition, (and vary in quality). I don't have Hand Brake, but other options that should suffice. Give me a little time and I'll be back with 'posted' samples/extracts from Wondershare vs. Stream Clip....

Thank You For Your Patience

Mike

Feb 27, 2022 5:53 PM in response to BenB

Hello BenB & Thanks everyone - Regarding extraction of VOB's PC vs. Mac is it possible to create files that wouldn't require render in FC 6.0.6? After some testing, it seems 'unlikely,' (both Stream Clip exports and PC exports) required render. This LARGE quantity of DVD's contain archival footage, (all the same SD format). They are NOT professional HD Dubs. The final production will be in 'Standard Definition' for DVD.

*The goal is for (extraction, storage and future editing).

In an effort to preserve older Mac Desktops which draw HEAT, would like to use my PC (if possible with suitable results), for VOB extractions. *The goal is for (extraction, storage and future editing).

BenB made an interesting valid point, (considering the nature of these files); "NOTHING you do will enhance the quality of this very old video" I agree, you can't get a Cadillac out of a Volkswagon. I'd like to also avoid 'Re-Encoding' during the final production export. *The goal is for (extraction and storage) for later editing. That said, would H.264 be an appropriate file?

Comparative export samples:

Mac environment Stream Clip Export using H.264

http://www.ww2survivorstories.com/H264.mov

PC environment using Wondershare (Version 10.4.2) Export using H.264:

http://www.ww2survivorstories.com/QTMovH264ACC.mov

FC Export (QT Movie) of all samples:

http://www.ww2survivorstories.com/Sequence.mov

Are there noticeable differences using a PC (Wondershare) vs. Mac environment (Stream Clip) for the VOB extractions? Would H.264 be appropriate for archiving, and future editing?

Link To Documentary:

http://www.ww2survivorstories.com/previews.html

Thank you for your time ...

Mike

Feb 28, 2022 3:09 AM in response to BenB

Hi BenB !

Nice to see you again and thanks for your confidence! Knowing H.264 will suffice, I believe I'd proceed as you do; except I don't have HandBreak as my version of FC is an older version, (but no problem). I'd rip each disc of the entire collection of DVD's breaking each one down individually into organized and labeled single H.264 files put in separate folders. I would keep all the H.264 file masters in my PC then just copy and insert the file I need into Final Cut (My Mac Desktop), using the media for 'B Roll' or 'Fill Content', then edit, render and move on ...

Here's a few photos of the research at NARA: (you'll see DVD's, DigiBetaCam, U-Matic Tapes, 35mm and other forms of media).

Thank You Ben!

Mike

[Edited by Moderator]

Feb 28, 2022 11:15 AM in response to Luis Sequeira1

Hello Luis

Thanx for the clarification ...

As this project was totally shot in SD, I'm using much older software and equipment, (very satisfied with the set up). I see the basic requiremnts for handbrake are Intel Core 2 Duo, AMD Athlon X2, or better ....

Although I have a fast i7 core PC, I'm using two G5 Desktops (I'm the original owner). I do all my editing offline ...

Thanx

Extracting-Converting VOB's For Final Cut Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.