Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Console started running - why?

I came back to laptop after lunch and it was running Console. "43,856 messages" and increasing. I made it quit.

That's the first time that has happened. Hadn't done anything out of the ordinary.

Do all of those 'messages' explain why, when I try to update from macOS High Sierra, I get a message saying it will take 8 Gigabytes and I don't have the space?

MacBook Air

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 11:00 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 12, 2019 7:01 PM

Probably some adware installed, one or more configuration profiles, an add-on cleaning app, and all of which will best be removed.

Adware can be a problem.

Profiles imply a problem too, unless this is a managed system, or unless you’re using profiles yourself.

Some of the cleaner apps have caused corruptions, some of which leading to re-installation as remediation.

That SSD is really quite busy too, which may well be some warring software. Or software is just running out of room, and logging errors, and which then exacerbates the whole storage usage.

I’d seriously consider replacing that 128 GB SSD with something larger, too.

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 12, 2019 7:01 PM in response to David Grant

Probably some adware installed, one or more configuration profiles, an add-on cleaning app, and all of which will best be removed.

Adware can be a problem.

Profiles imply a problem too, unless this is a managed system, or unless you’re using profiles yourself.

Some of the cleaner apps have caused corruptions, some of which leading to re-installation as remediation.

That SSD is really quite busy too, which may well be some warring software. Or software is just running out of room, and logging errors, and which then exacerbates the whole storage usage.

I’d seriously consider replacing that 128 GB SSD with something larger, too.

Oct 2, 2019 12:01 PM in response to David Grant

Please post the output of EtreCheck...

Using EtreCheck to Troubleshoot Potential… - Apple Community

Open a reply here, press the button that looks like a printed page to get a text input box big enough to paste the entire hardware and software configuration report here, and somebody here can have a look at what’s installed, what’s happening, etc.

Console started running - why?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.