Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

USB-C to SPDIF Coaxial in Mac Mini 2018

Hello,

I recently bought a Mac Mini (2018) to be used as a source of hi-res video and audio.

To listen to music I used to connect the source (a Mac Mini 2014) to an external digital-to-audio unit. Thus, I need Toslink/Coaxial output.

Since Apple dumped the SPIDIF connections from the last Mini, I bought a USB-C to Coaxial cable (image below).

Unfortunately, the Mac doesn't identify the device. I was expecting "USB" or something like that, but nothing at all.

Is there something to be done or the 2018 Mini's gonna dump my DAC???

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 1:21 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2019 4:14 AM

A simple look at the product spec, that is a very specific cable designed

to only work with a very specific device. It is not a "generic" USB-C to

SPDIF adapter as nothing like that exists. You need a proper USB to SPDIF

converter. A simple cable doesn't do it.

Similar questions

9 replies

Oct 4, 2019 7:45 AM in response to hcsitas

It is still necessary if you use the Mac as a source for high fidelity music. A stereo digital signal via coaxial can reach 24-bit/192khz.

I then send the digital signal to a Rega DAC, connected to a Unison Research valve amplifier. For such a system, an usual USB DAC produces a low quality signal. Digital-to-Analog conversion is the third "weak link" of hi-fi audio, after speakers and amplification.

Thus, SPDIF is still the holy grail concerning hi-fi music.

Apple simply forfeit its users of another "pro" usage of their hardware - something we are becoming used to since Jobs left us.

Oct 4, 2019 8:54 AM in response to Ferngutz

You’re mistaken, unfortunately. Almost all USB DACs today meet or exceed that spec and will serve high-res music flawlessly, even better than SPDIF which has well-known clocking issues.

The so-called weak link has long been eliminated by integrating DACs within receivers. Which is why SPDIF is considered obsolete.

I agree Apple makes a good punching bag but punch them for the right things if you want them to take you seriously. Like not making an affordable monitor for the mini. Good luck.

Nov 11, 2019 3:01 PM in response to hcsitas

Could someone be more specific about this? The USB DAC I tried had an optical output but only produced 2 channels. In addition, I have not been able to find a receiver that accepts USB (beyond the iPhone connection). So, is there a replacement for the lost SPDIF? (I know the HDMI will output multiple channels, but I would rather not commit to a looped monitor. I've had unreliable results from the HDMI connection.)

Nov 11, 2019 9:55 PM in response to gary11

The iPhone connection doesn’t mean it works only on iPhones, it’s a gateway to the receiver’s DAC. However, not all receiver DACs are made equal. My car’s DAC for example won’t play output from my iPhone Apple Music, no clue why. It’ll probably work with memory cards. Headphone output however, works fine. So research before buying.

One thing you cannot do is to separate sound from HDMI on the Mac. If video is involved, use HDMI and post whatever issues here.

In all cases, SPDIF/optical is obsolete and fully replaced by USB/HDMI. You have no choice but to make one of them work (not both simultaneously). Last resort as always is the trusty headphone output which on the mini is of excellent quality. Good luck.

Nov 12, 2019 6:37 PM in response to hcsitas

Thank you for responding. And yes, I understand that the USB on the receiver is not a universal input, but needs specific support for specific products. I've done a lot of searching for a receiver that accepts USB C (with appropriate DAC I assume). Nothing. The tech support at a major catalog store said that something like that just wasn't part of their market.

The HDMI is pretty fussy. It worked on two of the three monitors I tried. Of the two that worked, one would not "shake hands" with the Mac unless I booted up and powered up in a specific sequence.

Which leaves no choice, as you correctly put it, but to make USB work. Which is proving to be my brick wall.

I'm currently researching multichannel DACS and (which feels like a throwback to the 90's) sound cards. The descriptions are a bit vague and it gets expensive to order something just to see if it works for my purposes. I really miss the SPDIF to optical-in with one cable solution. I don't really mind that it is obsolete.

Nov 12, 2019 9:41 PM in response to gary11

You don’t need a receiver with USB-C, USB-A 2.0 is more than sufficient for audio. If you’re missing optical, you could buy a used Mac 2012, but be aware it’s limited to 96 KHz + whatever new issues with OS upgrades. I doubt it’ll do anything beyond stereo.

As for HDMI, post whatever issues you have with details, likely resolvable unless your monitors are obsessively wide with gimmicks galore (avoid Samsung and LG).

Bottom line: forget SPDIF, it’s history. Everything else is possible, not to mention, a huge improvement. Good luck.

USB-C to SPDIF Coaxial in Mac Mini 2018

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.