Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Turn off contacts in the iOS 13 Share Sheet

I need to be able to remove the list of suggested contacts on the top row of the "share sheet" in Safari and other iOS 13 applications. In just the past week since I switched to iOS 13, I've had a couple accidental shares; moreover, sometimes I present the contents of my screen to an audience, and I do not want them to see my frequent contacts. Finally, most of the suggested contacts are not contacts I would use anyways and are actually in frequent. This create some awkward circumstances an accidental sharing possibilities that can result from an accidental tap or brush with the screen. (Please see attached image from a similar request from another discussion group.) Thank you for your answers.

[Image Edited by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 2, 2019 5:01 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 17, 2019 6:38 AM

This feature is dangerous, unhelpful, and lacks privacy control. I also often share my screen (either on a large audience display or sometimes just on my device while sitting with a smaller group of people). It is not right that my suggested contacts are immediately visible to all. Furthermore it creates a big risk of sending the wrong picture to the wrong person. This is actually enough to force me off the apple ecosystem. Very sloppy and poorly designed feature.

261 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 17, 2019 6:38 AM in response to jjmck

This feature is dangerous, unhelpful, and lacks privacy control. I also often share my screen (either on a large audience display or sometimes just on my device while sitting with a smaller group of people). It is not right that my suggested contacts are immediately visible to all. Furthermore it creates a big risk of sending the wrong picture to the wrong person. This is actually enough to force me off the apple ecosystem. Very sloppy and poorly designed feature.

Nov 16, 2019 8:55 PM in response to Dogcow-Moof

Even if it takes multiple steps to accidentally share, it takes up valuable real-estate on a very limited area for a feature many do not even want and that those who want it, want to have control who is on there.

And even with multiple steps its disconcerting for any user to see your boss's or coworkers contact on there, one fat finger away ... It's just not a friendly feature.

Oct 15, 2019 7:32 AM in response to jarrod267

The share tab was changed and while there is some ability to control what apps you can share to, there appears to be no way to turn off having contacts listed on the share tab nor is there an ability to control which contacts appear. They appear to be selected based on most recently used possibly among other factors or "secret formula".

I think Apple took this move as a strong arm approach to promote/force more usage of the iMessage app over other sharing apps. For example, when I do share links, it is usually with WhatsApp, which now requires deeper screen navigation to get at each time because the screen real-estate is now taken up by Apple's choice of my iMessage recipients (none of whom I ever share links with).

I put in an apple feedback to: Feedback - iPhone - Apple. Recommend that anyone who does not like this feature to put in a feedback for it also asking Apple to allow the user to configure whether they want iMessage/text message contacts to appear there or not.

Oct 17, 2019 5:24 AM in response to jjmck

Totally agree - I want rid of that horrible top line of iMessage contacts, especially as I am iPad only with no Mac or PC these days and I use my iPad for work. I thought iPadOS was aimed at people like me, but the new Share sheet is absolutely awful. Apps that should be listed (and were in all previous iOSes) are missing, and instead I get a Contact list I do not want. Instead of helping me use my iPad, its stopped me because my most used apps don’t work with Share sheets anymore - so I borrowed a Mac. If this continues I might have to give up using my iPad altogether.

Dec 2, 2019 6:28 PM in response to AnaSultana

AnaSultana wrote:

Come on, Apple, nobody is sending selfies, pictures of cats or crass jokes over iMessage and I assure you they won’t start doing it because of this!

Of course they are!

lso, the last 3 contacts messaged aren’t necessarily relevant. iMessage is for moms and bosses, precisely the people you don’t want to share “that” with.

Are you saying people only use iMessages to send serious messages to their parents and their bosses? Really, no, that's not true.

t least there should be the option to remove the people from the top row, other than deleting the whole message history.

So, tell Apple:

Product Feedback - Apple

Dec 6, 2019 6:50 AM in response to Noapple11

The thing is, it's not "most people."

Certainly the tech press loves the feature, as do I and most people I've talked to.

However if you don't, provide feedback to Apple and if enough people complain, they may modify it.

Feedback - iPhone - Apple

As far as posts being removed, that happens not for disagreements but for violation of the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.

Read them and comply and your post will not be deleted.

However note that these are not standard Internet discussion forums - they are for people to post a specific question as to how to do something and for fellow Apple users to answer them (so to use this thread as an example, to ask how to disable contacts in the Share Sheet and for users to reply with the answer - "you can't.")

Jan 26, 2020 8:11 AM in response to HzKidd

So, stop defending for it because we are not asking it to be completely removed but we all should have equally rights to choose which we want. Aren’t we?

Although some may "defend" the feature, as is their right... most are simply informing that this is not the most effective place for feedback to Apple.

So, we here complaining about it based on own experience

Not the purpose of this technical support community. Apple provides this as a place to ask and have answered, technical support questions. At present this feature is what it is and we have no answer.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://www.apple.com/feedback/ is their preferred process.

Feb 8, 2020 2:28 PM in response to KrazyCat

fair enough, all we are asking for is the choice, the option ...

Fair enough.

As has been pointed out often... nobody here can make that happen. We are not Apple and Apple asks that Feedback be sent to the location below.

Feedback for Apple goes here >>> http://www.apple.com/feedback/

The mandate and purpose of this community to to ask and have answered, technical support questions.

Debating Apple's policies and decisions is not permitted.

Feb 9, 2020 9:31 AM in response to Noapple11

there are roughly 850,000 iOS users that face this "issue" That 140 have complained here is hardly a large group.

Even if 100,00 users do not like the feature, the advocated way to bring your concerns to Apple does not change.

Once again... it is not here, in this technical support community..

You will see Apple endorse this in many many "Apple Approved answers"

Not that facts matter, but I have never claimed to like it. Please read more carefully before ranting.

Also, and more importantly, I am not affected by the feature as I pay attention before I hit send to who my messages are addressed to.

Feb 14, 2020 9:06 PM in response to jwater7

This feature is ridiculous- why hasn’t it been fixed yet? Huge privacy issues with inevitable accidental taps.

Exactly how is it a privacy issue? A recipient is suggested, not used. Nothing is sent until you press send. I don't see a privacy issue. Many have suggested it is, but never explain why.

The feature is unliked, not broken. Big difference.

If you want to offer Apple Feedback where they prefer it to be sent.

Turn off contacts in the iOS 13 Share Sheet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.