Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV 4K only passes PCM Audio

I have an Anthem 720 and a new Apple TV 4K running tvOS 13. I cannot get any audio other than PCM or Multi PCM out of the Apple TV to the Anthem. I am looking for ideas. I do not have an HDR TV but it is a 4K TV. The Apple TV connects to the Anthem via a brand new HDMI 2.2 cable.

Posted on Oct 3, 2019 5:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 3, 2019 10:44 PM

You should also have the Dolby Digital 5.1 option, and I would also expect the Dolby Atmos option, if your setup is configured for that.

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Note that Apple TV outputs Dolby Atmos as metadata-enhanced audio transmission (MAT) to PCM audio, which needs to be supported by the AV receiver, as that has neither Dolby Digital Plus nor Dolby TrueHD as its base. Some receivers may need a firmware update for that.

Dolby Atmos for the home theater - Dolby [PDF]

Your cable will be HDMI 2.1 or lower. The "2.2" may apply to the HDCP capabilities of the HDMI ports. Note that Apple TV 4K has an HDMI 2.0 port, so that HDMI 2.1 (48 Gbps) cables will not provide a benefit over HDMI 2.0 (18 Gbps) cables here.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 3, 2019 10:44 PM in response to matt.weum

You should also have the Dolby Digital 5.1 option, and I would also expect the Dolby Atmos option, if your setup is configured for that.

Play audio in Dolby Atmos or surround sound on your Apple TV - Apple Support

Note that Apple TV outputs Dolby Atmos as metadata-enhanced audio transmission (MAT) to PCM audio, which needs to be supported by the AV receiver, as that has neither Dolby Digital Plus nor Dolby TrueHD as its base. Some receivers may need a firmware update for that.

Dolby Atmos for the home theater - Dolby [PDF]

Your cable will be HDMI 2.1 or lower. The "2.2" may apply to the HDCP capabilities of the HDMI ports. Note that Apple TV 4K has an HDMI 2.0 port, so that HDMI 2.1 (48 Gbps) cables will not provide a benefit over HDMI 2.0 (18 Gbps) cables here.

Apple TV 4K only passes PCM Audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.