Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV higher quality audio

Because my Apple TV goes from HDMI to my TV, it has output as TV speakers. I have an optical audio cable from my TV to my receiver. Is there any way to get the higher quality audio with this setup?

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 5:58 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 7, 2021 10:08 PM

1. Set your TV to passthrough the audio to the receiver.
  2. Keep your Apple TV setting for audio output to ‘TV Speakers”, as Apple TV is not involved with the passthrough.
  3. Set your Apple TV setting for audio format to ‘Dolby Digital’ or ‘Stereo’ (depending on number of speakers), as ‘Auto’ (PCM Multichannel) will not be compatible with optical audio setups.
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 7, 2021 10:08 PM in response to sooner333

1. Set your TV to passthrough the audio to the receiver.
  2. Keep your Apple TV setting for audio output to ‘TV Speakers”, as Apple TV is not involved with the passthrough.
  3. Set your Apple TV setting for audio format to ‘Dolby Digital’ or ‘Stereo’ (depending on number of speakers), as ‘Auto’ (PCM Multichannel) will not be compatible with optical audio setups.

Apple TV higher quality audio

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.