Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to connect apple tv with studio display

Hi!

problem is that I have apple studio display (only display without imac) and apple tv . I do not understand how to use studio display as a TV for apple tv device. I connect two devices with HDMI-USBc cable but no picture on my studio display? Please help

Margus

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 15

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 12:41 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 24, 2022 3:16 PM

The ATV HDMI is output only - output to a monitor of some sort via an HDMI input. Your ATV must be connected to your LAN, either by WiFi or ethernet cable. Once you have that working, use Screen Mirroring on your Mac to send the Mac screen data to the ATV. Good luck.

6 replies

Nov 28, 2022 6:35 AM in response to margus240

I appreciate the “Apple Recommended” reply. Yet, I feel the need to restate (some of) it, as it’s too “terse”. Assumes too much knowledge on the part of the questioner.

So, I may be mistaken, but the basic fact to know is that the AppleTV is, basically, a ‘middle man’. It takes data which it receives from outside your home, does things with that data, and sends it along to your TV/Display. Just like you cannot simply connect an AppleTV unit to a regular TV and expect to get a picture, you can’t hook an AppleTV up to any monitor, and expect to get a picture UNLESS your AppleTV is ALREADY connected to the internet. To do THAT you have to connect the AppleTV to your modem/route via either an Ethernet Cable or WiFi. So, first connect the AppleTV to the internet (WiFi or Ethernet) and then … according the the Apple Recommended Post … you’ll get AppleTV TV.

I’d note, for the record, as it were, that I have a Mac Studio and an Apple Studio Monitor, and have (one of) my AppleTV’s plugged into the MacStudio with a HDMI cable. Consequently, there is no option to “Screen Mirror” to THIS AppleTV, nor should there be. I … DO … get the option to Screen Mirror to my iPad and the two other WiFi Apple TVs in the house.

Jan 6, 2023 12:47 PM in response to margus240

The Apple Studio Display is only meant for devices using USB-C output for video. The adapter you mentioned is meant only for usb devices and HDMI displays, not the other way around. However, third parties make options that work the other way around. One such cable is the “Club 3D 4K 60Hz HDMI to USB Type C Video Cable”

Oct 25, 2022 10:35 AM in response to margus240

Thunderbolt–HDMI cables are directional. I don’t think they would work as HDMI–Thunderbolt 3.Same for adapters. Studio Display (2022) is compatible with Macs and iPad. Apple never said HDMI devices.

It has three USB-C ports for your accessories. It has one Thunderbolt 3 port to connect (and charge) your compatible Mac.

Nov 28, 2022 6:59 AM in response to MagicMouseOK

MMOK wrote that he has an AppleTV connected to his Mac Studio with an HDMI cable. Please explain this. The HDMI port on the Mac Studio is an output port. The HDMI port on an Apple TV is an output port. What purpose is served by this connection?

Also, the Apple TV need not be connected to the Internet. The ATV connection is to the LAN, and it is via the LAN that other LAN connected devices can mirror to the ATV. The LAN is tied together with Ethernet switches. If one adds a router and an ISP connection, the ATV and other LAN devices gain Internet access.

If one has a Mac on the LAN, and one has created a library of video (e.g. MP4) or audio (e.g. MP3) files accessible via that Mac's TV app or the Music app, then those files are also accessible via the same-LAN connected Apple TVs, and thus playable to the home media devices (receiver, projector, etc.)

Screen Mirroring from similarly LAN-connected Macs, iPads, iPhones, etc. to an ATV is a great feature.

Nov 28, 2022 8:34 AM in response to Brian Williams2

Brian William2 is correct: It was confusing to refer to the HDMI-out port on the MacStudio. That one doesn't do anything except output MacStudio data to (a non-Apple display that has) an HDMI-input port.

An AppleTVDevice (as opposed to the Apple TV/TV+ Subscription Service) also has an HDMI-out port which is intended to send ATVD's out-put to a TV-Like Display.

An Apple Studio Display is not a TV-Like Display and will not show you the content being passed along by your ATVD. Apple did not set up the 4 USB-C/Thunderbolt ports on the back of the Apple Studio Display so that they will receive the output from the ATVD.

Finally, you can only "screen mirror" to 'devices' with independent displays 'attached' to them. Thus, my iPad (which has its own display, obviously), and the two ATVD's connected to my "LAN" (each of which is connected to an honest to goodness normal TV) are possible candidates for screen mirroring. But, you cannot simply plug an ATVD into your "LAN", or the internet in common parlance, and 'cast' its content onto an Apple Studio Display. Apple doesn't allow that, almost certainly because it wants you to buy a Mac, of some ilk, to power your Apple Studio Display.

How to connect apple tv with studio display

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.