Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Selling iPhone

If I just hit erase all settings and reset do I need to sign out of Apple ID?

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 12:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 1:00 PM

Officially, you need to sign out before erasing: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201351

Follow these steps:

1. If you paired an Apple Watch with your iPhone, unpair your Apple Watch.
  2. Back up your device.
  3. Sign out of iCloud and the iTunes & App Store. 
    • If you're using iOS 10.3 or later, tap Settings > [your name]. Scroll down and tap Sign Out. Enter your Apple ID password and tap Turn Off.
    • If you're using iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud > Sign Out. Tap Sign Out again, then tap Delete from My [device] and enter your Apple ID password. Then go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > Apple ID > Sign Out.
  1. Go back to Settings and tap General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. If you turned on Find My [device], you might need to enter your Apple ID and password.
  2. If asked for your device passcode or Restrictions passcode, enter it. Then tap Erase [device].
  3. If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage.
  4. Contact your carrier for help transferring service to a new owner. If you aren't using a SIM card with your device, you can contact them to get help transferring service to the new owner.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 4, 2019 1:00 PM in response to ChristinaG11

Officially, you need to sign out before erasing: https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201351

Follow these steps:

1. If you paired an Apple Watch with your iPhone, unpair your Apple Watch.
  2. Back up your device.
  3. Sign out of iCloud and the iTunes & App Store. 
    • If you're using iOS 10.3 or later, tap Settings > [your name]. Scroll down and tap Sign Out. Enter your Apple ID password and tap Turn Off.
    • If you're using iOS 10.2 or earlier, tap Settings > iCloud > Sign Out. Tap Sign Out again, then tap Delete from My [device] and enter your Apple ID password. Then go to Settings > iTunes & App Store > Apple ID > Sign Out.
  1. Go back to Settings and tap General > Reset > Erase All Content and Settings. If you turned on Find My [device], you might need to enter your Apple ID and password.
  2. If asked for your device passcode or Restrictions passcode, enter it. Then tap Erase [device].
  3. If you're switching to a non-Apple phone, deregister iMessage.
  4. Contact your carrier for help transferring service to a new owner. If you aren't using a SIM card with your device, you can contact them to get help transferring service to the new owner.

Selling iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.