Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay light/dark mode.

After updating to iOS13 and redisign of CarPlay, I wanted to start using AppleMaps instead of Google Maps, as I found new look is more handy. How surprised I was when I found out that maps operate only in dark mode. How surprised was I even more, when it appeared that I can switch it to light mode with my car’s headlights. I could not found any manual option to change it, so my question is:

Are Apple Maps app developers are normal, thinking human beings??

How can I use it, when there’s heavy rain or I’m driving in countries where headlights are MANDATORY 24/7??

🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️

iPhone XS

Posted on Oct 4, 2019 1:30 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 20, 2020 8:14 AM

Exactly. But it looks like they don't care. I think I start to report this on app every day until they get p***ed, so maybe that will help. Apparently they don't look into this threads, so don't know where's the problem.

27 replies

Jan 13, 2020 2:01 PM in response to Sinoos

i guess it feels good to not be alone, but this problem is driving me bonkers. my observations mirror some of those here yet with some different nuances. which makes me think there are some subtleties between ios13 and different phones and different head units.

my setup : iPhone XS running 13.3, Pioneer 4500NEX wireless Carplay (interfaced to my Subaru using the idatalink maestro interface). here are my observations:

• about 1/3 - 1/2 of the time, Apple Maps is not in dark mode when it should be (between sunset and sunrise); if I switch to Google Maps, it is always properly dark. at other times, it is in dark mode as i would expect based on experience with ios12 and not having CarPlay to use (using my iPhone XS in a dash mount)
  • if i am patient, typically in 10-15 minutes, the light colored maps will become dark eventually
  • setting my phone and/or car unit to automatic dark mode or always dark doesn't improve the intermittency of this problem.
  • my headlights and ambient light sensor do not affect the mode of the maps. turning the headlights on and off does dim the overall brightness of the car stereo display but does not affect the maps themselves.
  • when the maps are light and i think they should be dark (again after sunset, but before sunrise), i can fix the problem by force quitting maps on my phone and launching maps form the car stereo. this of course is not safe while driving, but i have confirmed this fix many times after i've parked and completed my drive.
  • Google maps works properly! thankfully, when get impatient/annoyed, i can use Handsfree Siri to choose Google maps instead.
  • interestingly, right now, with my phone set to dark mode, maps initially comes up with a dark map (during midday), but when i choose to navigate, it shows up in light mode.

it seems to me there are a lot of conflicting settings and Apple needs to give us the option to configure exactly when maps are dark and light for both the iPhone itself and in CarPlay. (i would be happy if CarPlay just respected phone settings)

Mar 12, 2020 7:50 AM in response to Sinoos

Update from me in quick bullet point form:

• upgraded to iPhone 11 pro (13.3.1), and still have same sporadic, unpredictable problem of dark mode sometimes working, and there times not. worse time was entire 25 minute drive in the dark, it did not switch to dark maps even though it was two hours after sunset and my stereo had gone into dark mode.
  • i also determined its not only a CarPlay issue! before setting up CarPlay on my new phone, i used my 11 pro in a car mount and low and behold, when navigating, the maps were light when they should have been dark.

i really hope apple is working on this. i've more and more given up "waiting for the dark maps to activate" (usually 5-15 minutes) and when it doesn't work, i immediately ask Siri to use Google Maps instead.

Mar 12, 2020 8:24 AM in response to thewho87

Apple definitely needs to enhance Maps. I had started using it regularly over Google but the newer version woth dark mode is so frustrating and inconsistent it's not usable half the time.

1. Dark mode rendering is terrible
  2. They MUST add an option to let users light mode - in Maps. Google has it, three options: light, dark, automatic. Apple needs to replicate it

Oct 4, 2019 11:48 PM in response to ResortCasual

Hi

Thanks for answer.

yes, I tried settings. There’s only “automatic “ and “dark mode only” options. However, it doesn’t change anything, it’s still strictly related to headlights.

If you have automatic lights and enter tunnel, than You have a disco on dashboard and CarPlay screen 🤦🏻‍♂️🤦🏻‍♂️ I found that people were complaining about that years ago, but on other forums🤷‍♂️

Oct 7, 2019 12:21 PM in response to Sinoos

Your correct the “always dark” is only for the layout. But my lights have been off all day and my map was dark 1/2 the day then all of a sudden it went white. I figured it had to do with headlights but I have cycled my lights both ways trying to get it back dark and nothing works. I even covered light sensor to make lights come on and still nothing stays white.

Nov 14, 2019 2:54 PM in response to Sinoos

I'm right there with you. Only instead of light mode I WANT Dark, my car interior is black and it looks great with dark mode. But even with my carplay setting set to "Always Dark" Apple Maps is always starting in light mode. I'm always having my car lights on, it's the law and safety. Flipping the maps mode with car light is an idiotic idea.

Dec 28, 2019 9:11 AM in response to Sinoos

I also had this problem, tried everything in the thread including forcing my phone to dark mode and although this would set the CarPlay display in Dark Mode, maps would always display in Light Mode (even at night).

I have however found a solution - I set my phone to schedule Dark Mode automatically from sunset to sunrise, and lo and behold my CarPlay maps now come up in Dark Mode at sunset when my phone changes its 'base setting'. This allows me to have my lights on during the day with light maps (my Audi A3 doesn't automatically change the display to Dark Mode as the Pioneer head unit is aftermarket) and when the maps do change to Dark Mode, the inside of the car is dark enough for night mode.

Hope this workaround works for others as well.

Dec 28, 2019 10:33 AM in response to B_Elber

Thanks forn the suggestion. But unfortunately it doesn't help because it changes the entire iPhone to light, which is not desired. The objective is to change only maps to light. They gave the option for dark and automatic but not light. It’s so simple - apple needs to add the option for light in maps. Problem solved - we can choose what we want it to be when we want it to be without impacting the rest of the phone.

Dec 28, 2019 12:05 PM in response to OH_Paulie

Hmm. My problem was indeed the reverse - maps always in light mode, even with CarPlay settings set to always dark. If you want the maps to be always white then I think you’re suggestion of Apple adding a ‘always light’ option is the only way to go unless you leave your phone on light mode too.

Hope you find an answer. 👍

CarPlay light/dark mode.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.