Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

When attempting to use AirPlay to listen to my iTunes library on my living room stereo I get no sound

When attempting to use Airplay to listen to my iTunes library on my living room stereo I get no sound. The Apple TV is functioning, can stream from an IOS device and play content from Apps. Just no music from the Mac. There is an Apple TV icon with a "lock" symbol under my choice of where to play the music. Any thoughts? Thanks.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 4:24 AM

13 replies

Oct 5, 2019 4:52 AM in response to USNAdad

a "lock" symbol

That is normal, and all users see that. It doesn’t concern AirPlay. I think it means that you can’t make changes to that Apple TV device from iTunes over the current network connection.

Oct 5, 2019 5:01 AM in response to Urquhart1244

That makes sense. What doesn't make sense is I can stream content from my iPad to the Apple TV, mirror content from my mac to the iPad but iTunes will not play. I have been using Airplay to stream music to my living room stereo and play on my computer speakers at the same time for 3 years. This morning i can only the computer speakers work.

Oct 5, 2019 5:30 AM in response to USNAdad

Did something change on your network?

E.g. if you used different SSID network names for the 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz band, then these subnets can’t ‘talk’ to each other.

E.g. If your devices or router use different firewall settings, then some services may get blocked.

I suppose video AirPlay from the Mac will also fail then? (Either in-app basic AirPlay from iTunes, QuickTime Player or Safari, or AirPlay Screen Mirroring from the menu.)

Oct 19, 2019 11:03 PM in response to USNAdad

Hi,

i've exactly the same issue at itunes on a Windows 7 PC. Airplay from iPhone, iPad to Apple TV works fine.

I have 3 Apple TV's and one Homepod at Home. Airplay from itunes to the two ATV 3.Gen. and the Homepod works fine.

Only the Music-Streaming to the ATV 4k doesn't work. No Sound ! Strange: Airplay of Movies from itunes works fine, with Sound !

A few Weeks ago, Airplay to the ATV 4k works fine. The Konfiguration is unchanged, no new Hard- or Software.

Did you find a solution for this Problem ??

Thanks a lot !!

Oct 21, 2019 4:21 PM in response to USNAdad

I’ve had the exact same issue for many months. I have a windows dell PC and same issue.

Quite annoying. I was able to get rid of the lock symbol by going into settings on the Apple TV 4K, turning on require password, then deleting the existing password and pressed done. The lock symbol was gone. But with iOS 13, you must have a password and it will auto generate a password if you delete it.

I have two other older Apple TV’s 3rd gen and music streams just fine to them, just not my Apple TV4K.

I had iOS 13.0 BETA and this was an issue then. I got another Apple TV 4K, had iOS 12 on it and worked fine. Then iOS 13 came out, installed it and the same issue.

Several weeks ago, I called Apple, spoke with a senior tech advisor who sent my issue to engineering. I called again for an update and they just told me engineering is aware of this issue and it will hopefully be resources in the next TViOS 13 update. We wait.

When attempting to use AirPlay to listen to my iTunes library on my living room stereo I get no sound

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.