Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting iPhone 7 to 2018 MacBook air

I have tried to connect my iPhone 7 to my October 2018 MacBook Air, but receive a pop-up telling me I need additional software. As I am using a 3rd Party adaptor box, with USB A and C, 4K HDMI and SD/Micro SD ports that plugs into both USB ports on the MacBook, I was wondering if this was a genuine request or not? The pop-up doesn’t look quite genuine, there are no buttons in the top left-hand corner to minimise/maximise/close the window, so I am worried that this is been initiated by some sort of software in the adaptor. Thanks.

iPhone 7

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 5:18 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 7, 2019 1:01 PM

Hello themoorester.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that you are getting a message that you need additional software to connect your iPhone 7 to your MacBook Air. I’m happy to help.

Have you updated iTunes? If not, I recommend updating to the latest version of iTunes and then try to reconnect your iPhone.

Update to the latest version of iTunes

Let me know how things go.

Take care.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 7, 2019 1:01 PM in response to themoorester

Hello themoorester.

Welcome to Apple Support Communities. I understand that you are getting a message that you need additional software to connect your iPhone 7 to your MacBook Air. I’m happy to help.

Have you updated iTunes? If not, I recommend updating to the latest version of iTunes and then try to reconnect your iPhone.

Update to the latest version of iTunes

Let me know how things go.

Take care.

Oct 8, 2019 6:04 AM in response to green500

Hi,

I connected my phone directly to the laptop, via a Belkin cable USB-A to USB-C adaptor, which still asked to install a "patch", even though the iTunes and OSX were up-to-date, which I decided to let it do. It appears all is well as they are both "talking" to each other. My question, I guess, was about the validity of the patch, and whether it was a 3rd-party malicious software.

Thanks for your response.

Connecting iPhone 7 to 2018 MacBook air

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.