Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"There is not enough disk space available to install the product" when trying to update XCode

Hi,

I have Xcode installed on my Mac and now try to run the update from the App Store. Every time I click on Update it tells me "There is not enough disk space available to install the product.". I have 28 GB free space on my disk and the download is for approx. 8 GB.

How much extra space do I need to install this?!

Max

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 11:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 11:49 AM

I'm not sure how much space the installation uses but you are getting very low on storage which is not a good thing. I'd advice following the steps here to make more space on your drive:

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT206996

Similar questions

3 replies

Oct 5, 2019 11:54 AM in response to Maxi Bobzien

Roughly three times the size of the downloaded file. Thus, if the installer is 8GBs you need that space plus two added chunks of 8GBs each, approximately. This would be 24GBs. This would be increased for a disk image that expands into far more space than the .dmg file requires.

Either you won't have enough space or very little space left over. Your system has free space needs of 15-50GBs or 10% of the disk's capacity whichever is greater. Inadequate free space will severely affect performance by slowing it down to a crawl.

"There is not enough disk space available to install the product" when trying to update XCode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.