Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Extend wifi with Gen 1 Airport Express

How do I set this up? I have an Airport Extreme for my router. I want to extend my wifi.

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 12:25 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 5, 2019 2:48 PM

There is much confusion about the AirPort Express Gen 1.

Look on the side of the AirPort Express for the model number. It is hard to see....gray lettering on a white background......so you may need reading glasses, good lighting, even a magnifying glass to see the model number.

It starts with an "A" followed by 4 numbers. The Gen 1 AirPort Express is model number A1264. Post back to confirm that this is the model number that you have.

Unfortunately, if you see A1084 or A1088, this model will not be able to "extend" the network, since they are older "b/g" versions of the AirPort Express.

Next, tell us what device......a Mac, a PC, or an iPhone / iPad that you will be using to try to configure the Express to "extend" the network. We ask this because the setup is entirely different, depending on the device that you will be using to try to configure the AirPort Express.

Finally, please be advised that when you "extend" a network using a wireless connection, the potential speed of the network will drop by half or 50%, so while your new network might have greater range, it will be a significantly slower network.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Oct 5, 2019 2:48 PM in response to PerioDrew

There is much confusion about the AirPort Express Gen 1.

Look on the side of the AirPort Express for the model number. It is hard to see....gray lettering on a white background......so you may need reading glasses, good lighting, even a magnifying glass to see the model number.

It starts with an "A" followed by 4 numbers. The Gen 1 AirPort Express is model number A1264. Post back to confirm that this is the model number that you have.

Unfortunately, if you see A1084 or A1088, this model will not be able to "extend" the network, since they are older "b/g" versions of the AirPort Express.

Next, tell us what device......a Mac, a PC, or an iPhone / iPad that you will be using to try to configure the Express to "extend" the network. We ask this because the setup is entirely different, depending on the device that you will be using to try to configure the AirPort Express.

Finally, please be advised that when you "extend" a network using a wireless connection, the potential speed of the network will drop by half or 50%, so while your new network might have greater range, it will be a significantly slower network.

Oct 5, 2019 5:32 PM in response to Bob Timmons

No kidding about needing reading glasses. I'm 57 and I would have needed them, anyway. LOL! Unfortunately, mine is a 108. I thought it said 108B. I guess it was 1088. I am using a Mac Book Pro to configure things, in general. I have not had to do anything in 7 years. The issue I have that literally just started around 4 months ago, is that I can't get consistent wifi on my iPad in my master bedroom. Every other area of the house works, just fine. I spoke with an IT person from Frontier. He thinks that as neighbors get better and newer equipment, it is making mine less effective. I use the Verizon modem and an Airport Extreme for my "router." I do not know the generation of the AE, but it is the one right before the Time Capsules came out. The wifi on the Verizon/Frontier is turned off, so the signals are not fighting between the modem and my Airport. Like I said, this has been working all over my home for 7 years just fine. I also took the iPad to the Apple store to check it. It is less than a year old. So, since the Express isn't the answer, what is the next thing to try? I just want to get consistent wifi in the master br. Thanks.

Oct 5, 2019 7:48 PM in response to PerioDrew

Like I said, this has been working all over my home for 7 years just fine

4-5 years is about it as far as the average useful life of a WiFi router designed for home use. If you got 7 years from the AirPort Extreme, you are way ahead of the game.

Although the AirPort Extreme might still be "working", chances are the power supply has been heading downhill, so the router simply does not broadcast as strong a signal as it did even a few years ago. It's time to replace the AirPort Extreme.

If it were me, I would turn on the WiFi on your other router and see how things work that way.

Extend wifi with Gen 1 Airport Express

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.